Author Topic: More madras  (Read 6202 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
More madras
« on: December 17, 2012, 09:46 AM »
A few pics from Saturday night.

This is chewys madras sauce.  Recipe followed pretty much to spec.  With c2go bangla base and CBM mix powder 1.  Added a tsp of rajah chilli powder in addition to the 1 tbsp of kashmiri. The sauce was made in a standard ally chefs pan. Changed the method for reducing the sauce, as struggle with high heat and halogen (too much splatter). Thus, after the base (I used 300 ml) had been added and brought to the boil, it was transferred to the pan shown. The pic was taken after about 3 mins cooking.  The dual ring hob is on 10 (maximum warp).

After another 3-4 mins its getting there.  The steam escaping from the lid rim has stopped more or less by now, but still venting through the little hole like a good un.  I will try to photo this properly some time.  Next, I lowered the heat to half and stirred in some CBM pre-cooked chicken; after a few mins the pan was taken off the hob, and curry moved to a TA tray.

Here it is.  Took this pic after about 15 min (busy sniffing and tasting). The chopped coriander (wasnt that fresh but was all I had) has wilted, and spoiled the appearance of the dish somewhat, but the texture is shown reasonably well.  A bit too dry/thick I felt; prefer a bit more sauce in my madras.  Also, the chicken was OK, but needed to go in much earlier in the cooking process (as done normally), to soak up the flavours.  However, both the aroma and taste of the sauce was very special.  If I can find a TA that does a good madras I would like to compare them side-by-side. 

Need to keep practicing this one and try a few things out; timings, etc.  The reduction with the lid on is pretty fierce, as I found out the previous night, when 2 (chicken and lamb) dishes ended up in the bin.  Having the base too thick to start with didnt help. I bought a shallower pan yesterday, which might help seeing whats going on better. It is great fun messing about though. So far, so good.  Any advice much appreciated.

Rob  :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 10:48 AM by getonthegarabi »

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: More madras
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 10:54 AM »
Hi Rob

That Madras in the bottom picture looks the business! really really nice looking curry indeed  :P

Regards

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 11:47 AM »
That looks bang on, GOTG!

Great to see it venting a goodly amount of warp plasma, too!

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 12:04 PM »
I agree, that last photo looks excellent (ignoring the wilted coriander, of course)!  8)

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 12:05 PM »
Really good post and pix Rob, lovely looking curry. Try a wooden spoon under the lid across the pan to let that steam out.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 12:44 PM »
Really good post and pix Rob, lovely looking curry. Try a wooden spoon under the lid across the pan to let that steam out.

Cheers Chris. Not sure about the wooden spoon. If anything I am hoping my new pan has a tighter fitting lid.  If not I might seal it somehow.  All will whiz through the vent then.  As it stands its not too bad, as the steam stops venting from the lid rim after about 5 mins.  This is perhaps, in part, how I am getting the textures and taste.  Not sure of course as I am complete novice.  But in the past I havent even been able to get the oil to separate properly. Top sauce recipe from CT though.  Proper curry. 

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 12:54 PM »
Ok rob am with you, you are using the lid to get the temp up high.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 12:58 PM »
Hmmm,  not sure I've ever seen a BIR use a lid whilst cooking their curries?

Surely this is detrimental to the intent of reducing the liquid content to derive the desired consistency?  What's the reason for the lid, please?

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 01:05 PM »
I agree, that last photo looks excellent (ignoring the wilted coriander, of course)!  8)

Thanks Cory.  I cant believe I used that coriander.  Habit.  If my local TA had sent one out looking like that I would have been on the phone moaning about their, we only use the freshest ingredients, etc. policy. I even took one of my currys out the fridge the other week, and sprinkled some (fresh) on, before warming it up!  I may be losing it.

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 01:06 PM »
Hi Rob
Excellent work again, looks Great.

Suggestions = When you transfer from the Ali pan, add the Chicken straight away and crank it up.
You could even stick a bit of tape over the vent, to trap the steam and increase the heat into the sauce or just sit your Ali pan on top.

All good fun mate and not a novice anymore ;)
cheers Chewy

©2024 Curry Recipes