Author Topic: Secret Recipe Group Test  (Read 77568 times)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Recipe Group Test
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2013, 06:27 PM »
Great looking curry RubyDoo - not sure if the picture captures the colour of your bunjarra correctly but may I suggest taking it a bit further than half an hour and aiming for a colour not unlike Branston pickle. This is where the concerns from burning come from because once you get to that stage it's possible to take it too far.

Hi. I take, acknowledge and appreciate your comments regarding the colour of the onion paste assuming they are from first hand experience of course. No it was not dark brown but almost there and yes, maybe my camera needs a decoke! I am not sure however about the relation suggested between that and  the 'fear of burning' which was originally mentioned only with regard to the preparation of the meal itself and only just at the stage prior to the addition of the gravy which is, in my experience a common stage  for any potential ' disaster'.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 03:43 PM by RubyDoo »

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2013, 07:07 PM »
Blimey Ruby! you dont hang about eh.   :o
Great review, really!! I didn't expect that at all  ;D ;D
Well done.

Frank.  :)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2013, 07:09 PM »
Brilliant curry debrief  & pics rubydoo. I've made banjarra paste loads of times & think yours looks more or less as it should be. Most photos on here look a little brighter. The onions always flinch first in a game of brinkmanship, so you've probably got a good paste there. I normally whack a bit of it into most curries i make & its flavour seems to change against the ingredients of different dishes.

The dish it's self looks very good, better than some of the stuff they charge a tenner for here. I must have eaten kilotonnes of this - Ashoka jaipuri is the only one which doesn't have mushrooms   :-\ should taste quite peppery. We normally ask for madras heat tikka jaipuri, which can pack a few psi in Glasgow

I've found the taste & smell of coconut becomes apparent when the dish cools, coconut is common in curry bases here although i'm not sure if its added to the jaipuri main dish across the board in Glasgow, difficult to tell.
Very garlicky is the Ashoka indeed - ditto about the pre frying & turmeric

You've  weighed in heavy with this effort  ....who's going to follow it up ? :)

Regards
ELW

Edit- did you use gm instead of mix powder?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:39 PM by ELW »

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2013, 09:53 PM »
Absolutely superb write-up rudydoo!  Got my test recipe today. Just chewing on it now.  Not quite ready yet, me thinks.

Rob  :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2013, 11:25 PM »
I'll check : I have his e-mail address.
Bob ("976bar") is alive and well, but rather preoccupied.  He hopes to be back on CR0 soon.  He writes :

Quote from: 976bar (via e-mail)
Sorry to all at CR0, but have been a little distracted lately; nothing for anyone to worry about and I'll be back on CR0 soon
** Phil.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2013, 08:15 PM »
RubyDoo set me the task of making Cory Ander

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2013, 08:49 PM »
Hahahaha.  Naga - excellent review. Loved the way you went to town on the oil to keep as much to spec as possible. I must say the end result looks great but does seem to have some texture / lumpiness to the sauce. Is that just the photography as I ended up with a really smooth sauce when I did this. Matters not to me but my kids mentioned it specifically when I tabled it along side the ashoka jaipuri you set me to do.

I  think your dish looks great and your review well photographed, comprehensive and of value to any bugger who wants to have a go at this tasty dish. The more I go back and read it the more I see the effort you have put into this to keep it CA spec, eg rice method etc etc.

Well done.  :) ;)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 08:59 PM by RubyDoo »

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2013, 08:58 PM »
..........and you did CA s mix too which, if I remember rightly involves the murdering pounder of numerous green cardamon seeds unless you have the powdered version to hand.  :o

I do love many of CA's recipes. Just a shame perhaps I cannot get on with his base. Perhaps another go is required with a load of added water and a touch more patience and salt adjustment.  ;D

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2013, 09:27 PM »
Great looking curry RubyDoo - not sure if the picture captures the colour of your bunjarra correctly but may I suggest taking it a bit further than half an hour and aiming for a colour not unlike Branston pickle. This is where the concerns from burning come from because once you get to that stage it's possible to take it too far.

Yep - I'd second that. This is in no way a criticism, but you're looking for full caramelisation of the onions, which needs to be done over a low to moderate heat, and in my experience can take an hour - during which you have to be in attendance, constantly stirring to avoid burning.

The latter stages are the most critical, and I've ruined a fair few by letting them go too far, but you soon develop a feel for it.

(If using a heavy based pan that retains heat well, don't do as I did once and leave it to naff off down the pub once you've finished making the bunjarra and taken it of the heat. It will continue to cook and you will return to find it carbonised...)

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2013, 11:01 PM »
Excellent review Naga.
Thanks for sharing this.

Great work

Stew

©2024 Curry Recipes