Author Topic: unlocking the taste to indian takeaway- from h4ppyleader  (Read 30319 times)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: unlocking the taste to indian takeaway- from h4ppyleader
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 11:57 PM »
This makes sense. Thanks for adding clarity! :)

Seeing as I have a normal (albeit with a decent sized flame) cooker I was wondering if there is anything I can do to get a more intense flame out of it or do I need to buy a "specialty" stove?

Excellent question!

It was either JerryM or Haldi  who tinkered with their gas jets to get a bigger flame.  I always get these two guys mixed up. I've always pictured them to look like Monty Don.  ;D
Couldn't tell you which thread though sorry.

Frank.  :)

It was Jerry. Cant post the search results, so do a search on here for gas jet by user jerrym.  There's a few threads on the subject.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 02:30 AM »
I am curious, how do these chefs manage to get their frying pans in flames?

Water content from the garlic & ginger paste etc. mixes with the oil in the pan and spits out over the pan where the gas flame then ignites the oil to give the flambe.

Malc is on the money ;)
Extremely simple to flame your Ally pan on your domestic burner.
1. Turn your gas on high

2. Put your Ally pan on the ring for a few minutes, until its extremely hot.

3. Add a Chefs spoon of oil, it will heat very quickly, you will see it shimmer and ripple and you will know its hot enough.

4. Pull the pan towards you, slightly off the rings centre, lift and tip the pan, so the oil has pooled furthest away from you.

5. Now add any water based substance to the pan and WHOOSH, FIRE, 2 feet high at least.

6. Warning, Don't do this, when you have a camera overhead.

7. Disclaimer. Do this at your own risk. Stand well back and don't drop or leave go of the pan or serious burns may follow.

I was demonstrating this to fellow curry fans one day and I didn't want to have to clean the mess and pan after,
so I just gave the pan/oil a squirt of Lemon Dressing.WHOOSH, everybody run.

cheers Chewy

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2013, 02:57 AM »
I am curious, how do these chefs manage to get their frying pans in flames?

Water content from the garlic & ginger paste etc. mixes with the oil in the pan and spits out over the pan where the gas flame then ignites the oil to give the flambe.

Malc is on the money ;)
Extremely simple to flame your Ally pan on your domestic burner.
1. Turn your gas on high

2. Put your Ally pan on the ring for a few minutes, until its extremely hot.

3. Add a Chefs spoon of oil, it will heat very quickly, you will see it shimmer and ripple and you will know its hot enough.

4. Pull the pan towards you, slightly off the rings centre, lift and tip the pan, so the oil has pooled furthest away from you.

5. Now add any water based substance to the pan and WHOOSH, FIRE, 2 feet high at least.

6. Warning, Don't do this, when you have a camera overhead.

7. Disclaimer. Do this at your own risk. Stand well back and don't drop or leave go of the pan or serious burns may follow.

I was demonstrating this to fellow curry fans one day and I didn't want to have to clean the mess and pan after,
so I just gave the pan/oil a squirt of Lemon Dressing.WHOOSH, everybody run.

cheers Chewy

Thanks Chewy! :-)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 11:18 AM »
i modified the stove i bought - it works a treat. the burn is slightly rich giving a slight build up of black "carbon". as for performance - perfect.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2944.0.html

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2013, 12:24 PM »
I think he's talking about a normal gas cooker in his kitchen Jerry ;)

Offline ligs

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2013, 02:23 PM »
Good video.I noticed that in his fresh onions there are red and green pieces of something,I also noticed this in the kitchen of my TA, what is it and does it serve any other purpose than just taste.ligs

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2013, 04:23 PM »
I think he's talking about a normal gas cooker in his kitchen Jerry ;)

I was, but I might get one of those single-burners to do the job for us at one point or another.

Was it you Jerry that told me not to use one of these at home?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2013, 06:31 PM »
Was it you Jerry that told me not to use one of these at home?

Yes. meaning not in your kitchen. i cook in my garage. it's a pain walking round the house to it but well worth it.

i think any type of stove/burner around 7kw would do. the pan is important too. mine is black steel. i've not tried an ali pan so don't know if there is a difference - i guess not as my local BIR defo uses ali. the black steel seems to have the edge though but suffers from, potential to rust (needs constant oil smear).

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2013, 10:17 AM »
I dunno, I must be getting old, or jaded, or both!  :(

There's only so many times you can watch a chef knocking out curry after curry with the same techniques we already know they use. Nothing to learn, for me, here.

It's a taster, can you understand the chef? we all know it is about the content of the book!

Please don't claim to be able to make authentic Chinese curry sauce, on YouTube when your recipe is only 50% of the way there.  You obviously can't take criticism and admit your faults.  Otherwise you would not be blocking people, like myself on YouTube.  Your Chinese curry sauce doesn't taste anything close to Chinese takeaway curry sauce, I myself have perfected it, so please refrain from blocking people when they are making a genuine comment.  If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen!!!

"genuine comment" my ass...Put your perfect recipe up and prove me wrong!!!!!!!!!!

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2013, 12:55 PM »
Artist Paul's recipe is 100% genuine, its on this site

©2024 Curry Recipes