Author Topic: Why does the Oil "Separate" from the Curry and Base?  (Read 20206 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Why does the Oil "Separate" from the Curry and Base?
« on: February 12, 2013, 09:29 AM »
I personally would like to better understand the science behind this (i.e. the what is happening and why?).

Why does the oil "separate" from the oil/water/spice mix in a curry when you fry it?  What does it mean or infer?

Why does the oil "separate" from the oil/water/spice/onion/tomato/etc mix when you make a curry base?  What does it mean and what does it infer?

It seems to me that Spicey has made a good attempt at explaining it:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,11568.msg89624.html#msg89624

It also seems to me that nobody else has offered an alternative or better or plausible explanation (yet).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:42 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Why does the Oil "Separate" from the Curry and Base?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 09:54 AM »
Quote from: Cory Ander

You're being a trifle rude and ignorant now guys

Quote from: SS
Pot calling the kettle black! Absolute classic

That's your problem, SS, and it always has been.  All too ready to cause a stink but never able to provide anything of substance to the forum. 

Prove me wrong; why do you think that the oil "separates" and what does it infer?

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 10:09 AM »
Have you created this topic just to maintain an argument CA?

It's going to be pretty one sided if the only posts are coming from you.

Can't we all please stop this point scoring please, it's doing nothing creative for the forum.  :-\

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 10:10 AM »
CA you have started a perfectly reasonable thread following on from the 'conversations' of last night. Now whilst I personally do not care why the oil separates (as long as the curry tastes good  ;)) I do not understand why you have then taken the time to write a second post that will do nothing but start another few pages of meaningless argument. I thought that was exactly what you were trying to get away from and what I am sure many people are sick and tired of seeing.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 10:11 AM »

It's going to be pretty one sided if the only posts are coming from you.

Can't we all please stop this point scoring please, it's doing nothing creative for the forum.  :-\

Sorry, posted at same time.  ;) well split second later.  ;)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 10:15 AM »

Very short sighted of you Axe.  I started it because:

a) It truly interests me (I think it is crucial to cooking curries)

b) To move it from MYN's thread where it clearly doesn't belong (and which others have rightly suggested)

It's going to be pretty one sided if the only posts are coming from you

I'm hoping that other members have sufficient interest in cooking curries and a desire to understand such things to also contribute to this topic.

Then stop seeing it as "bickering" (an emotive word...bound to cause angst) and start seeing it as gaining an understanding on what we do, why we do it, and what it actually means.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 10:18 AM »
I do not understand why you have then taken the time to write a second post that will do nothing but start another few pages of meaningless argument

The problem, in part, as I see it, is that members such as yourself don't see the value in gaining an understanding of such things.

The only reason it will "do nothing but start another few pages of meaningless argument" is if other members wish it to do so.

That is not my intent.  I would like sensible suggestions from those that are truly interested in understanding such things. 

I suspect that, therefore, and rather sadly, there will be very few posts to follow.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 10:23 AM »
I do not understand why you have then taken the time to write a second post that will do nothing but start another few pages of meaningless argument

The problem, in part, as I see it, is that members such as yourself don't see the value in gaining an understanding of such things.

The only reason it will "do nothing but start another few pages of meaningless argument" is if other members wish it to do so.

That is not my intent.  I would like sensible suggestions from those that are truly interested in understanding such things. 

I suspect that, therefore, and rather sadly, there will be very few posts to follow.

You have missed the point completely. You have dragged the 'confrontation' with SS straight over from the other thread. Why? Not necessary and yes, you have probably destroyed your own thread in the process.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 10:26 AM »
Very short sighted of you Axe.  I started it because:

I wasn't responding to your original post which I felt was thought provoking and interesting, I was responding to your jibe at SS.

Then lets please keep this topic on track and cut out all the pointless attacks at others.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 10:32 AM »
You have missed the point completely. You have dragged the 'confrontation' with SS straight over from the other thread. Why? Not necessary and yes, you have probably destroyed your own thread in the process.

No, you have missed the point RD.  You are destroying this thread.  If you're not interested in the topic, then, to mind you own words, ignore it!

Spicey has put forward the only (perfectly) sensible rationale (so far) on  why the oil separates in curries and bases.  To me it is a fundamentally important issue regarding cooking curries.

SS seems to have simply refuted his opinions without offering an alternative explanation.

I would dearly like SS (and anyone else who has something constructive to offer on the subject) to offer alternative explanations (rather than simply roll their eyes and ridicule) as to why it is the case and thereby offer better understanding to all of us.

It's all these "off-topic" comments and silly innuendos that derail the substance of threads.

©2024 Curry Recipes