Author Topic: Chicken Tikka Pathia - Curried Away Style  (Read 30009 times)

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka Pathia - Curried Away Style
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 08:36 PM »
I think the food here looks delicious, the problem i have is that pretty much most of the things videoed, pictured and posted about curry does look good, its recreating them and admitting to yourself (maybe thats just me) its still missing that certain something that bugs the hell out of me!

I really hope happy chris's new twist unlocks the key as if not, i'll have to settle for good curries not great ones. Last night was the 1st takeaway curry ive had in a while and it had that missing link im longing for :'(

If this new ebook doesn't deliver as promised then i'll be one sad chappie.

Back to curried away, if his curries weren't any good i wouldn't be the one to tell him hehe ???

W

Edit - Interestingly i posted this approx the same time George had similar thoughts!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 08:44 PM »
Oh and the red sauce nonsense, It's a fact, and used in a lot of Indian restaurants, 1 recipe I have: tomato sauce, lemon juice, sugar, tinned fruit, mango chutney and a couple of other ingredients this restaurant used..best patia ever.

rallim are you Scottish because I have a feeling that's a 'standard' pathia sauce way up North. Down here though, unless things have changed (and I could easily believe they may have), the pathia tends to be made up from individual ingredients rather than a preprepared sauce.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 09:01 PM »
On top of that, the people that are pronouncing it in the videos are changing how they say it because its unnatural and odd for them to say "grey-bee", which is how an Indian would pronounce Gravy.

Which is exactly how this ridiculous term came about, i.e. the bastardisation of the word gravy.

Apart from anything else, it isn't a gravy at all as it contains no meat juices. It's a base sauce or just a sauce and I wish people would stop using the garabi term.

And what's this about racism - do explain because I can't fathom where you're coming from (actually, as I typed that I think I realised what you mean. Are you implying that by using the word garabi it's as if we're mimicking a first generation Pakistani's mangling of the English language in a derogatory way? If so even more reason to stop using the laughably, ridiculous term).

Like i said in one of my very first posts on this forum, It's no different to people saying "flied lice" as a given or still using the word Chinky instead of Chinese, or even "paki shop".

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 09:05 PM »
It's a base sauce or just a sauce and I wish people would stop using the garabi term...even more reason to stop using the laughably, ridiculous term).

I agree. The use of that stupid word really irritates me, like people are trying to be too clever for their own good.

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 09:06 PM »
SS your not a bad chap and you obviously say what you think  :)
 And on this site we can not taste the videos or the pictures
So if someone posts a picture of a curry  I'm not going to say that curry looks the same as the other curry but a different colour
Just nice to give a bit of encouragement other wise people might not post
May be not sincere but nice

Offline BIR-TY

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 09:16 PM »
It's a base sauce or just a sauce and I wish people would stop using the garabi term...even more reason to stop using the laughably, ridiculous term).

I agree. The use of that stupid word really irritates me, like people are trying to be too clever for their own good.

interesting this. I was talking to the owner of a restaurant the other day. I asked him if his chef called the base sauce garabi, grabbi. he said he did, they all did, meaning his staff including the younger ones that spoke perfect English. He said that is what the sauce is known as in its own right. Thing is george. I dont think they'll change because you dont like it
Bert

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 09:19 PM »
tends to be made up from individual ingredients rather than a preprepared sauce.

That could be said about curries rather than bir in general SS

h4ppy-chris is getting unnecessary grief.

Two points for me on this;

Who else is on cr0 is asking for money  for "recipes"?

I've picked up a huge amount of information up from here buckshee!..Thanks for that

(not meaning to be snide)
a good cr0 member but h4ppychris has no back story or credible bir experience(if you look at his posts) to warrant a fee.

He should publish the chef he knows & subsequent restaurant recipe's(which then wouldnt be his) or take a bit more time with his ebook & market it elsewhere imo, too tough a crowd in here..trouble in the post. C2G was cast out from the beginning on cr0 & i can't remember too many reports about his dishes on here ???

Regards
ELW

Offline BIR-TY

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 09:21 PM »
On top of that, the people that are pronouncing it in the videos are changing how they say it because its unnatural and odd for them to say "grey-bee", which is how an Indian would pronounce Gravy.

Which is exactly how this ridiculous term came about, i.e. the bastardisation of the word gravy.

Apart from anything else, it isn't a gravy at all as it contains no meat juices. It's a base sauce or just a sauce and I wish people would stop using the garabi term.

And what's this about racism - do explain because I can't fathom where you're coming from (actually, as I typed that I think I realised what you mean. Are you implying that by using the word garabi it's as if we're mimicking a first generation Pakistani's mangling of the English language in a derogatory way? If so even more reason to stop using the laughably, ridiculous term).

Like i said in one of my very first posts on this forum, It's no different to people saying "flied lice" as a given or still using the word Chinky instead of Chinese, or even "paki shop".

ridiculous, ask any Banglasdeshi staff if it offends them, I dont think they give a badgers backside. I said backside because (moderated) would get moderated  ::)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:53 PM by George »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 09:29 PM »
He said that is what the sauce is known as in its own right. Thing is george. I dont think they'll change because you dont like it

No-one is asking them to change, if you mean the takeaway and restaurant staff, just to drop the term on forums such as this. Otherwise we'll have to, for consistencies sake, start using haldi, jeera, mirch, murgh etc. instead of the English terms.

Just acknowledge that garabi is (outside of the takeaway) a stupid term and use the accurate base sauce terminology instead.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 09:34 PM »
still using the word Chinky instead of Chinese, or even "paki shop".

Actually I've not long returned from the Indi shop (mines run by Indians not Pakistanis).  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes