Author Topic: Bombay Aloo  (Read 7658 times)

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Bombay Aloo
« on: May 19, 2013, 10:57 AM »
Managed to get a bit of home cooking done again, at last.  Been looking forward to trying out a few things I've picked up from my local TA. Regrettably I can't post exact recipes, but the base gravy is quite similar to the Mouchak. If anyone's interested I may be able to put something together via pm/email, on the basis that the information isn't shared publicly. Anyway, here's a few pics of preparation leading up to making of, amongst other things, Bombay Aloo.  Will post more pics later.

Base gravy

Pre-cooked chicken

Pre-cooked lamb

Pre-cooked potato

Ready to start

Rob  :)

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
Re: Bombay Aloo
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 11:04 AM »
Looks fantastic

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 01:03 PM »
Absolutely tops Bengali Bob! The aloo looks very very close to what I generally got from my favorite TA in Cambridge! I will have to PM you :)

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 02:58 PM »
Here's a pic of about 1 l of the base, defrosted and re-heated.

The recipe for Bombay Aloo is quite similar to CBM's. I swapped mustard seeds for onion seeds and added some curry leaves.  A small about of base gravy, cooked dry.  Complex yet subtle flavours, in part due the the preparation of the spuds, which involved a G/G baghar with green cardamom, cassia bark, panch phoran, asian bay, mix powder, plum tomatoes, and a tiny amount of Kashmiri chilli powder.  One thing I left out that chef would always use for this dish is a knob of regular salted dairy butter. 

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 03:35 PM by Bengali Bob »

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 04:39 PM »
Looks great Rob!

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 05:01 PM »
Ex hot chicken vindaloo

Garlic chilli chicken (976bar)

Finishing off a chicken pathia

Ceylonese lamb curry.  Not fully happy with this one due to coconut issues

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 08:06 PM »
That's looks very good indeed, colours have come through superb, wish I could taste it!

W

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 08:39 PM »
That's looks very good indeed, colours have come through superb, wish I could taste it!

No more, no less. My feelings exactly!

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 10:45 AM »
Yes, pleased with the results.  Easily my best home efforts to date.  All had a distinct good restaurant taste, and no comparison to the bilge water type TA affairs commonplace hereabouts. Would be happy to pay 8-10 quid apiece for these in a restaurant, with rice included.  Would have picked up on the Ceylon though, as the coconut flour wasn't cooked enough.

The colours did develop nicely.  Spot on for the base, possibly a bit too much red in the pre-cooks.  I used a cheap can of KTC plum tomatoes for the base and a pricey Italian one for the chicken etc, which probably accounts for this.  I think colour is very important.  Happy to use powders.  However, only used in 2 of the dishes here; garlic chilli chicken (pinch of orange) and the pathia (pinch of red).

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 10:56 AM »
I ended up cooking a portion of parker21's base (mouchak) and I can't wait to get home tonight to have the first try at a curry using this base! I noticed it was thinner than any other base I've worked it and I think I know what made the difference, but can only speak when I make it a second time.

I'm going to try the bombay aloo as well.

©2024 Curry Recipes