Author Topic: South Indian Garlic Chilli Chicken  (Read 158271 times)

Offline Hybrid

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: South Indian Garlic Chilli Chicken
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 01:38 PM »
No worries Bob, I'm Scottish, hence a bit of something, piece sounded a bit gay ;-)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 10:10 PM »
Very nice. Although I felt the dish lacked depth in the garlic department; too much ginger. The tsp of coconut flour seems to add nothing.

Finished it off on top with some roasted garlic flakes and fresh chopped green chilli.

Rob  :)

Offline Hybrid

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 01:22 AM »
My guess is the coconut powder was to thicken the gravy, which i assumed to be the watery version. I forgot to add the onion paste a' la Julian, but surely any lack of depth to the flavour would be down to the gravy? which of the myriad of gravy's did you use? I'm sure, like me, you can adapt and modify this recipe to suit your own taste, maybe roast the garlic you make the garlic\chilli paste with? or half of it? let me know if you improve it so I can attempt it too. 

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 11:56 AM »
My guess is the coconut powder was to thicken the gravy, which i assumed to be the watery version. I forgot to add the onion paste a' la Julian, but surely any lack of depth to the flavour would be down to the gravy? which of the myriad of gravy's did you use? I'm sure, like me, you can adapt and modify this recipe to suit your own taste, maybe roast the garlic you make the garlic\chilli paste with? or half of it? let me know if you improve it so I can attempt it too.

Yes, will do.  As I said, it was very good, and certainly vastly superior to anything most TAs within a 4 mile radius of my home could make. Will post a few pics in the piccy section. The gravy I used is identical to a local TA's, and is basically a stripped-back version of the Zaal/Mouchak recipes; the whole spice flavours are introduced via, in this case, the stock/oil of the pre-cooked chicken.     

Rob  :)

Offline EuanW

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 10:53 PM »
Made this tonight, adapting it with the Taz base method , with pre slow cooked lamb. Doubled all the portions. Roasted the Garlic that went in the garlic/chilli paste and added a touch of Tamarind sauce near the end. I have to say, I think its the best curry I have ever made. Better than many of the ones I have had ordered in from Takeaways over years, if I was presented it in a restaurant or in home delivery I would be more than happy with it.

Offline ATTAKKDOG

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2020, 05:35 PM »
Made this last night - wifey loved it, so did I - she was very impressed. Deffo a new favourite :D Thanks for the recipe :D

©2024 Curry Recipes