Author Topic: Water leaking from curry?  (Read 7165 times)

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Water leaking from curry?
« on: July 07, 2013, 12:08 PM »
Just made Abdul Mohmeds base from his book along with the enhanced gravy stage listed on the forum, but it's not an isolated incident - have had this with c2g base too from time to time.

Water seems to leak from the final curry (abduls madras in this case), I'm not sure why or what I can do to stop it.  Following his instructions to the letter, I added more base (1 pint) than I normally would (approx 300ml) to a meal and reduced down to a reasonably thick sauce.  As I mentioned I've had this happen before with other bases so it's probably down to a failing in my technique

A picture may help to explain

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Water leaking from curry?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 12:41 PM »
This is weird -- I have no explanation to offer, sorry ...
** Phil.

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 01:20 PM »
Dunno either. Had similar occasionally when reheating via microwave, but never experienced this for freshly made or gentle warming-up.

Rob  :o 

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 01:33 PM »
You sure it's not from the rice sp?. I've had this before and it's the rice that's been the culprit.

W

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 02:38 PM »
Try this SP, you might find some answers.  ;)

Food Emulsions    Principles, Practice, and Techniques
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vd1ev5i4g1k07y4/Food%20Emulsions%20Principles%2C%20Practice%2C%20and%20Techniques.pdf

Cheers, Frank.  :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 02:48 PM »
sp I wonder if you are reducing the sauce enough - I've had water leak from a finished curry when I've not reduced the sauce enough.

Offline vindapoo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 02:51 PM »
your base is too thin. Either make another batch and dont water it down so much or reduce what you have by a third.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 03:25 PM »
As usual on forums you'll get as many answers as people who post, so it's hard to see the wood for the trees. But trust me, this is caused by not cooking the onions in the base long enough / hard enough and/or not blending the base sufficiently. The particles of vegetable fibre in your base aren't small enough so the water drains out of them.

Try again and cook the base long enough to be able to put the handle of a spoon thru the onions (fully soft) and blend for longer than you think is necessary. That will fix your problem. It will be much longer than the 30 mins which is mentioned (quite misleadingly) in Abdul's book. I would suggest 1hr 15 to 1 hr 30 mins.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 03:35 PM by natterjak »

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 03:47 PM »
I think Stephen Lindsay and Natterjak have identified the issues for you SP.  Don't be too alarmed because i've had a few takeaways that have leaked some water when left to cool, including my favourite North Indian Special.  I also think chunks of onion and pepper added to dishes contribute to the leaking effect but this isn't so noticeable if your gravy is right though.  Off to the kitchen now to cook up a batch of Zaal base, as if it isn't hot enough  :o

Offline timeless

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 05:44 PM »
Also had this though i think it was from the rice

©2024 Curry Recipes