Author Topic: [Request] Papadum recipe  (Read 15072 times)

Offline BoneHoney

• Chef
    • View Profile
[Request] Papadum recipe
« on: August 11, 2013, 11:28 PM »
I'm on a mission to make my own popadums to accompany the curries I make at home.

Is there anybody out there who can supply me with a list of ingredients and the method for making them?

Offline rshome123

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: [Request] Papadum recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 01:25 AM »
I'm on a mission to make my own popadums to accompany the curries I make at home.

Is there anybody out there who can supply me with a list of ingredients and the method for making them?

Ahh.. Good luck with that. I would just buy the dried ones and deep fry like most people do.

I think to make your own from absolute scratch wold be very labour intensive and require a large lag surface with plenty of hot sunshine.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 01:53 AM »
This girl shows you how, great if you have nothing better to do. :D
Not BIR practice either, but hey. ;D
http://youtu.be/m3cdFo4yyDw

cheers Chewy

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 06:31 PM »
Ahh.. Good luck with that. I would just buy the dried ones and deep fry like most people do.

I think to make your own from absolute scratch wold be very labour intensive and require a large lag surface with plenty of hot sunshine.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.
I think you're bang on rshome. It's 75p well spent.  Just like real BIR too  ;D

Offline rshome123

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 07:41 PM »

I think you're bang on rshome. It's 75p well spent.  Just like real BIR too  ;D

Although the ones that my local Asian grocery store tend to be slightly thinner and delicate than the 'Sharwoods' type of poppadom that you usually find in BIRs.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 07:48 PM »
Although the ones that my local Asian grocery store tend to be slightly thinner and delicate than the 'Sharwoods' type of poppadom that you usually find in BIRs.

I think you'll find that most BIRs that serve the more robust type of papad buy either TRS Madras or Rajah Madras pappadum.  These should be available at the better Asian stores, although some stock only the thinner ones that are truly difficult to cook to perfection.

** Phil.

Offline Garabi Army

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 09:15 PM »

I think you'll find that most BIRs that serve the more robust type of papad buy either TRS Madras or Rajah Madras pappadum.  These should be available at the better Asian stores, although some stock only the thinner ones that are truly difficult to cook to perfection.

** Phil.

I'll second that. The Sharwood Pappadums don't cook up too well. The last ones I had were very thick, therefore when I fried them they were covered in bubbles  :o  ... it could also be because they are not dried out properly  :-\

Cheers,
Ken

Offline rshome123

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 09:54 PM »
I like the bubbles.

Offline BoneHoney

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 01:01 AM »

I hear what you're saying and it makes perfect sense if you're coming at it from an economics of time and money angle, but I'm not. I like the idea of a challenge and new culinary knowledge. I don't understand why there's so much mystery around papadums. It's mystifying, really. Right now, I'm in the process of trying to find the right blend of ingredients for restaurant quality papadums and the best way of preparing them before cooking and I think it's a valid food item to discuss here. In terms of effort, it's not that different from hand-made pasta.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 08:25 AM »
I havent done them for yonks, but I used to stick em under the grill for a few seconds each side. No grease. The pompadoms from my bir never have even a trace of oil on them, so I think they grill them too...but am probably wrong

©2024 Curry Recipes