Author Topic: [Request] Papadum recipe  (Read 15073 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: [Request] Papadum recipe
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 10:17 AM »
I havent done them for yonks, but I used to stick em under the grill for a few seconds each side. No grease. The pompadoms from my bir never have even a trace of oil on them, so I think they grill them too...but am probably wrong
The Madras-style ones (small diameter, relatively thick) have to be deep fried; the thin ones (large diameter) seem to cope very well with being grilled, and are an absolute nightmare to fry !

** Phil.

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 10:53 AM »
Have fun and let me know how they turn out.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 11:47 AM »
George, this request should be moved to the correct section.
delete this post also

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 12:10 PM »
As indicated by Phil, TRS Madras or Rajah Madras are the business.  Used by many TAs and restaurants.  At my local they are made as follows:

Heat fresh veg oil in a large frying pan or karahi.  Test that the oil is hot enough by dropping a small piece of an uncooked poppadom into the pan; it will rise to the surface quickly when the oil is hot enough.

Remove the plastic wrapper from your poppadoms.  Don't separate them.  Put the whole lot as they are on your work surface close to the the pan.  Using two stainless steel slotted fish slices (one in each hand)  pick up 3 poppadoms at a time (sandwich them between the fish slices).  The cooking itself happens very quickly. Immerse them in the hot oil and then use the fish slices to rotate the poppadoms, basically 360 degrees.  Simultaneously, push the popaddoms down into the oil (they will try to curl up on you).  Then sandwich them again and turn them over.  Give them a quick spin as before and remove to, e.g, a large dinner plate.  Cooking the 3 poppadoms should take no more than about 10 seconds.  A little tip is to use the fish slices to press down the sides of the just-cooked poppadoms.  This will flatten them down (just like what you get from the TA).  You can press them down quite forcefully. They won't crack/split, as it takes a few seconds for them to "crisp up" after they come out of the hot oil. 

Carry on until you've cooked as many as you need.  Obviously take care when pressing them down you don't smash up the previous (crispy) lot lower in the pile. When all done, pick them all up (this time using your hands to sandwich them) and turn the pile vertically (on their edges), to let excess oil drain off.  Job done.  Restaurant quality pops.  The TA stores the freshly cooked poppadoms in the bottom of an upright type oven, to keep them warm.  This oven also has several solid shelves.  These shelves are used to keep your curries etc. warm (in their plastic containers) until your complete order is ready to be bagged. 

Hope this makes sense.

Rob  :)

For spicy poppadoms I've found Swad the best. They taste great and seem to be just the right thickness to be oven cooked at 210 degrees C in my oven, without burning.  Apparently the TA cook these in the tandoor, but I've not seen this done, because no one has ever bought any.

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 01:21 PM »
Good reply Rob, just to back up your post.
BIR Poppadoms with my photos, a couple of years ago
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,5391.msg54619.html#msg54619

BoneHoney
On your OP, No BIR make there Poppadoms from scratch, so nobody could give you a recipe.
They all use Plain Madras poppadoms, any which brand. So a discussion on how to make the dough
to match this commecial product, is a dead end. Think Traditional cooking rather than restaurant quality.

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 01:36 PM »
I have to say in the interest of slightly healthier eating and as we only do a couple for each meal I usually just do mine in the microwave. For me, as tasted in a few restaurants over the years, there's nothing worse than a poppadom done in dirty not quite hot enough oil. :(

©2024 Curry Recipes