Author Topic: Thankyou  (Read 9202 times)

Offline sotonowl

• Chef
    • View Profile
Thankyou
« on: August 16, 2013, 08:09 PM »
After years of trying to replicate the BIR taste, using the curry secret 1+2 editions I gave up. The curries were OK but nothing like the BIR we all crave. So a big thank you to the people on here, who have shared their recipes.
I used the Saffron base, and various other recipes which I have written down.
A special thanks to a gentleman who (thinking about it could be a lady) made me think again about Chicken Bhuna. I can't remember his username, but Bhuna is his favourite dish.
Chicken Bhuna was my first ever experience of an Indian restaurant (Curry Centre, London Road, Sheffield). Fantastic curry but I later progressed to Madras, Dhansak Etc.When years later I tried a Bhune again, alas it was nothing like the original, in fact it was just a chicken curry with loads of sauce and green capsicum and tomatoes. Well guess what? These dishes are not Bhuna dishes. bhuna is almost dry,
please try it, its fantastic, I have.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Thankyou
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 10:23 PM »
Good to hear the site has re-awakened your desire to cook home BIR style food and that you are now finding success  :D .  One bhuna aficionado that springs to mind is Bob - 976 bar.  Maybe this is the post.  It certainly inspired me to cook my first bhuna  :)

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,6248.0.html

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 10:45 PM »
Could also be secret santa, or phil.  As far as I know both like their bhunas as dry as a bear's rear end.

Rob  :)

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 08:36 AM »
Great link back CH
good recipe

best, Rich

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 09:47 AM »
Well, I am one of those who loved late 60's/early 70's bhunas, but sadly it is now a long time since I experienced one.  The bulk bhuna that the Taj of Kent produced for the Marden Fete was excellent, but the bhuna we later had in their restaurant was not the same, and the one we had recently in Hildenborough was fairly dire :  far too tomatoey, and far too much sauce.  If you can let us know which recipe you used with such success, Sotonowl, I would be very grateful.

** Phil.

P.S. Whilst the bhuna in Hildenborough was dire, their tandoori dishes were excellent :  each one differently spiced (chicken, lamb, and duck tikkas, seekh kebab, tandoori chicken) and all first class.  For the tandoori dishes alone I recommend Cinnamon Square (Hildenborough) quite highly.

Offline sotonowl

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 10:41 AM »
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,6248.0.html
It was 976 bars recipe, he has reawakened my love of bhuna dishes

Offline sotonowl

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 10:47 AM »
Here is a pic of my recent efforts, all with recipes from this site, please note this is not the bhuna

Offline sotonowl

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 10:49 AM »
Sorry about the big pic

Offline Garabi Army

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 10:57 AM »
 ... along with the perfect accompaniment  ;)

Cheers,
Ken

Offline sotonowl

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 11:05 AM »
Yes, sorry about the lack of authenticity in the accompaniment but the cobra is considerably more expensive

©2024 Curry Recipes