Author Topic: The Padma Extra Hot Phall - a tribute to a great restaurant  (Read 7335 times)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
DON'T TRY THIS UNLESS YOU LIKE IT HOT !!!

Finally I had some time to recreate the dish served to me regularly back in the 80

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Padma Extra Hot Phall - a tribute to a great restaurant
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 01:16 PM »
Now that's making me sweat just looking at the picture  CH
Just had some Jellied Eels to cool me down  ;D
you've put in the mood for a spicey one tonight
Cheers MT

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 01:40 PM »
Way way way beyond my heat capacity, even in the days when I lived on Bangalore Phals, but the story about the need for a sudden "about turn", and the ever-increasing pace as the loo beckoned ring true -- at some point in my late teens/early twenties I developed IBS, which would manifest itself about 15 minutes after finishing a good Chinese meal in the Lotus Inn, Chislehurst.  Unfortunately 15 minutes was only half-way home, and at the top of White Horse Hill I would bid my friends and fellow-diners "goodnight", and set off down White Horse Hill at a steady trot.  At Beanshaw, this would lengthen into a canter, and by the start of The Course it would be a full-blown gallop.  Trousers would be unfastened at the same time as the front door, and an almighty dash the length of the hall would then ensue; there was rarely if ever time to close the loo door.  Fortunately (thank G@d !) disaster never actually struck, but I am certain it was rarely more than half a second away.  I still get struck in the same way from time to time, but at least it is no longer a regular Saturday night experience.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 03:05 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 02:42 PM »
Very nice CH. Not exactly a molten lava phal. Where's the sauce?  Looks a bit gritty with all those mild chilli seeds, which just get stuck between your teeth.  It this a typical southerners' phal? Back in the day it would have been on the desserts menu in Rusholme.

Good effort though.

Rob  ;D ;D ;)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 09:30 PM »
Am rushing to the loo as we speak...

Offline Rob-phall-ike

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 07:52 PM »
Curryhell, just read your commentary and giggled all the way through. This is something I have not had the pleasure of experiencing as my upbringing on curry was from a young age and one I have continued. Your comment about the curry producing a bout of hiccups made me snigger as my wife always tells me that this is how she can tell I am eating a really hot one.
The pictures look great and I intend to have a go at this recipe.
Rob

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 09:19 PM »
Curryhell, just read your commentary and giggled all the way through. This is something I have not had the pleasure of experiencing as my upbringing on curry was from a young age and one I have continued. Your comment about the curry producing a bout of hiccups made me snigger as my wife always tells me that this is how she can tell I am eating a really hot one.
The pictures look great and I intend to have a go at this recipe.
Rob
I thought it was quite amusing, unlike the sister-in-law's partner  ;D ;D ;D  Serves him right too  :)
Try it at your peril mate  ;) Keep us posted

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 12:52 PM »
Cheers CH, thats Friday Curry Clubs next curry sorted.
Cant wait to make this

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 08:46 PM »
Sorry I didn't put it recipe format Andy but I didn't think there would be much demand  ::)  The texture is very much an acquired taste ;D  I do hope  you're not disappointed  :D

Offline karl.s.berg

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 12:07 PM »
I made this yesterday. I didn't put in as much dried chili (I guess about half). Did put in a nice handfull of fresh green chili's.

The pros:
- Good heat! I have tried making very hot vindaloos, but the amount of peppers or chili powder I add do not seem to change the end result very much. Dried chili might be the key!
- Very fragrant!

The cons:
- After first couple of bites, heat takes the upper hand
- Curry had this "they all taste the same"- feeling.

As for the cons, I am still looking for a curry with a distinct taste, an amazing heat but with a taste that takes the upper hand over the heat by every bite (I hope I am clear here). I had this amazing naga chili curry in The Spice (Tunbridge Wells). Super hot but every bite was soo tasty! I was eating the Phal with Mango chicken. Where heat would be all I taste with the phal, I would get this amazing mango taste when I was spooning it between my bites of phal. Maybe something sweet is missing? Dunno.

As for the curry tasting the same, it's a phase I have seen others on the forum get stuck in as well. I make a great mango curry (chewytikka's recipe, but with extra mango pulp), a great korma (CA's recipe with less sugar) and an excellent vindaloo (CA's recipe but adapted to contain more different chili powders and more tomato sauce and spices in general - might post this recipe one day, as it's always a winner at my dinner parties)). But for the rest, curries seems to taste very similar (and not all that special). I have been thinking it might be the addition of mix powder in the base. My current base is the Zaal base. Next base I think I will skip the last stage where spices are fried...

©2024 Curry Recipes