Author Topic: Three baltis  (Read 253671 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Three baltis
« Reply #320 on: July 18, 2014, 10:43 AM »
Weekend again and will be balti bound again.  Something wasn't quite right with the last balti chicken; somehow the flavours were not balanced correctly; too much meat stock.  The texture of the sauce was also a bit odd.  Almost as if it had been thickened with flour, although I can't see that happening.  I've concluded that the dish just wasn't cooked properly. 

Interestingly, on this visit there was a sign in the door stating that the Adil is now closed on Mondays.  Saturday/Sunday remain open from 12.00, as usual.  I wonder if this has led to chef shift changes.  Here's a pic of the takeaway container after most of the balti had been tipped out of it.  Again, something is not quite right, me thinks.

Rob  :)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 18, 2014, 10:47 AM »
Yeah glutinous? Can see why flour sprung to mind though.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 19, 2014, 08:09 AM »
Interesting pic

Difficult to judge from photo but for me as Bob suggests not cooked well.

Looks like dark and light areas with small pools of oil and possibly water separation.

Ps Bob, I now have the lamb stock per your recommendation. Ironic but using it a lot in none curry. Loving it although it's well salty.

Getting the proportion wrong in curry would be disaster.

Much appreciating your efforts and hope for repeat visit at some point

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 19, 2014, 12:27 PM »
Ps Bob, I now have the lamb stock per your recommendation.

Is this a commercial stock? Been trying to source a good depth of flavour lamb stock without much luck.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 20, 2014, 10:09 AM »
Secret Santa,
Yes commercial stock.

Bengali bob posted pic earlier on this post after the christmas trip.

It's a yellow packet with a rams head on the front. They come in pack of 32 for ~?2. not easy to track down found in rusholme.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 20, 2014, 04:51 PM »
Thanks Jerry, managed to track down the picture of it on page 27!

Yes even Google fails to track down an online source for them!

So what's your and Rob's verdict on their flavour...are they really lamby?

I don't believe most of the BIRs are making fresh stock so there must be a cube or powder out there that gives that deep lamb flavour some of them achieve in their curries.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 20, 2014, 05:43 PM »
Possibly not one of my best ideas.  ;D.  They are tasty but as Jerry has said they are also really salty.  Trying to remember back.  Not sure if there is actually any "mutton" as such in them.  Msg rings a bell.  Are very popular hereabouts though, the supermarkets sell loads.  They also do a crayfish flavour one.  Not tried it;  probably give it a miss.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 20, 2014, 05:48 PM »

I don't believe most of the BIRs are making fresh stock so there must be a cube or powder out there that gives that deep lamb flavour some of them achieve in their curries.

I don't see why not, any bone-on-lamb would make a stock as soon as it was cooked in a liquid. I can't see what adding a powder is going to add, would add to costs too. Is lamby really a word? ;)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 20, 2014, 06:45 PM »

I don't see why not, any bone-on-lamb would make a stock as soon as it was cooked in a liquid.

So where are the reports of vast stock pots full of mutton and lamb bones simmering gently on the BIR range? I've never heard anyone who's been to a BIR kitchen mention this and it's the sort of thing that would get mentioned if seen.

That's not to say some don't, I just think it will be a very small minority.

Is lamby really a word? ;)

'tis now!  ;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 20, 2014, 06:56 PM »
Possibly not one of my best ideas.  ;D.  They are tasty but as Jerry has said they are also really salty.  Trying to remember back.  Not sure if there is actually any "mutton" as such in them.  Msg rings a bell.  Are very popular hereabouts though, the supermarkets sell loads.  They also do a crayfish flavour one.  Not tried it;  probably give it a miss.

After that ringing endorsement I'll probably give 'em a miss too then !  ;D

There must be a catering stock powder out there that gives a good lamb flavour.

©2024 Curry Recipes