Author Topic: Three baltis  (Read 253570 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Three baltis
« Reply #210 on: November 14, 2013, 11:17 AM »
So I take it you would not class your visit to the Shabab as a riveting experience then Rob?    ;D Or maybe it was  ::)

The food wasn't great.  Still enjoyed the visit.  The Shabab is pretty swish for a balti house.  Nice decor, complete with HD TV advertising their dishes.  Goncalo faired less well with his Balti chicken tikka jalfrezi, which I gather had been trashed with Patak's tikka paste, leaching from/added directly to the sauce.  Not good.  Fairly certain these sit-down baltis are served after the bowls have been sat in the oven for while.  They are absolutely mad scorching hot, as Goncalo can confirm  :)  We had a great time chatting about all things curry though.

Rob  :)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 14, 2013, 12:25 PM »
I'll definitely write something up on the Kushi course.  Didn't quite go to plan.  Surprisingly, no balti(s). Basically, after a short intro to spices. we spent 2 hrs (max) in the kitchen watching Chef Ali make 3 dishes, handi style, one of which (pilau rice) ended up burnt beyond recognition. No hands on experience, except for peeling some onions and garlic. We got to sample the dishes, and that was about it.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 15, 2013, 05:22 PM »
Just a quick note about the ajwain seeds/lovage seeds mentioned several times in this thread. As far as I can see, ajwain seeds are not lovage seeds but, rather, Bishop's Weed, carom or caraway seeds.

I know the TRS packaging says Ajwain Lovage Seeds, but both Wikipedia and this online health shop (among others) say different. The Indus Ajwain packaging also refers to its contents as caraway seeds.

I know its just a small point, but its as well to clear up the confusion as we go along, particularly as its such a pungent spice.

Out of interest, the Indus Organics website says this about ajwain: "In Indian cuisine, ajwain is almost never used raw, but either dry-roasted or fried in ghee or oil. This develops a much more subtle and complex aroma, somewhat similar to caraway but "brighter"."

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 15, 2013, 05:39 PM »
Good work Naga. Theyre not something Ive used before up till now. Ive got some carroway seeds somewhere as well so i can do a comparison. Ill fry some up in oil and compare aromas

Just for interest ive come across packets of european bay leaves marketed as tej patta by east end foods

Regards

Mick

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Ajwain (was : three baltis)
« Reply #214 on: November 15, 2013, 06:08 PM »
Just a quick note about the ajwain seeds/lovage seeds mentioned several times in this thread. As far as I can see, ajwain seeds are not lovage seeds but, rather, Bishop's Weed, carom or caraway seeds.

I know the TRS packaging says Ajwain Lovage Seeds, but both Wikipedia and this online health shop (among others) say different. The Indus Ajwain packaging also refers to its contents as caraway seeds.
/Just/ "caraway seeds", or ajowan caraway seeds ?  They are completely different.  Caraway seeds as used in (e.g.,) rye bread taste nothing like ajwain seeds.  The latter taste quite remarkably like thyme.

** Phil.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 15, 2013, 06:21 PM »
...Just for interest ive come across packets of european bay leaves marketed as tej patta by east end foods

Aye, Mick, I was conned into buying a couple of packets of those myself before I learned the truth of the matter from the resident forum gurus. I now have a supply of the real deal thanks to the kind offices of a forum benefactor. :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 16, 2013, 09:43 AM »
i'm now sorted on this.

i've cooked balti using BIR base. well pleased and feel gradual tweaking over time will sort fully (seeds a bit bitty and need to get mix of onion soft and crispy, decide on tom puree or tin tom). curry was an 8 and delicious.

i've increased the ajwain to 0.5 tsp. the ajwain is the spice needed and works a treat.

Finished recipe:
oil 1 chef
Light grind cumin seed 0.5 tsp
Light grind ajwain seed 0.5 tsp
crushed chopped garlic 1 clove
Sliced onion 1/2 onion
Sliced Green pepper 5 pieces
mix powder 0.5 tsp
Balti Chef garam 0.5 tsp
methi 0.5 tsp
Blended tin Tomato 1 chef or tom puree (i used tom puree 1 tbsp on last dish per unclefrank)
meat
Base 300ml
Fine sliced Green chilli 1 off
Fresh coriander 1 Htbsp
fresh tomato segment 1 off
Lemon dressing 3 sec squirt

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 16, 2013, 10:46 AM »
Looks like a very nice curry indeed, Jerry. :)

Is the version of the GM you mention from this post?

I'm keen to try this out and I've planned Mick's Garlic Chilli Chicken Dopiaza to experiment on tonight.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 16, 2013, 11:19 AM »
Absolutely looks the business Jerry.  I'll have a go at making your recipe to spec soon. Thanks for all your work.  Concur ajwain is a key ingredient for the real-deal balti.  Noticed it in most of the dishes I've bought in, and particularly the Adil balti.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 17, 2013, 10:37 AM »
Bengali Bob,

the thanks is all to you. i would never have made such progress without your post and efforts. simply brill.

Nagga,

the garam is as per the link. i do think there is too much cinnamon in it but the dishes turned out spot on. i'm going to look at "chef garam" next as the Balti garam turned out better i thought in some respects than my norm chef garam. for making decent balti this won't be an issue - it's very fine tuning.

the mix powder is as per the discussion but not the pic ie i did not increase the turmeric. i also did not add the ginger in as i did not have.

i've used black cumin with the ajwain at the start (oil frying) and may be worth giving a try. i feel the black cumin for this type of use to be better than the brown

my conclusions on the key Balti differences being;

1) adding lightly ground whole spice at the start of frying (ajwain & black cumin)
2) the use of both Balti garam and Balti mix
3) light frying of the spices (7 secs for me, 11 being too much)

going forward i see refinement through making the dish:
the things i have on my mind going forwards being:

a) is there a need to add in ginger paste
b) getting the lightly ground whole spice less bitty
c) getting both soft and crunchy onion
d) deciding on how to add tom (ie puree, tinned, passata). fresh segments needed irrespective
e) investigate differences between my chef garam and the balti garam

Balti recipe:

oil 1 chef
Light grind cumin seed 0.5 tsp
Light grind ajwain seed 0.5 tsp
crushed chopped garlic 1 clove
Sliced onion 1/2 onion
Sliced Green pepper 5 pieces
mix powder 0.5 tsp
Chef garam 0.5 tsp
methi 0.5 tsp
Blended tin Tomato 1 chef