Author Topic: Three baltis  (Read 254138 times)

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Three baltis
« Reply #330 on: July 20, 2014, 07:27 PM »

I don't believe most of the BIRs are making fresh stock so there must be a cube or powder out there that gives that deep lamb flavour some of them achieve in their curries.

I don't see why not, any bone-on-lamb would make a stock as soon as it was cooked in a liquid.

So where are the reports of vast stock pots full of mutton and lamb bones simmering gently on the BIR range? I've never heard anyone who's been to a BIR kitchen mention this and it's the sort of thing that would get mentioned if seen.

That's not to say some don't, I just think it will be a very small minority.

Is lamby really a word? ;)

'tis now!  ;D

I was thinking more of the leftover oil/ stock from precooking than big pots of stock.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 20, 2014, 08:01 PM »
I was thinking more of the leftover oil/ stock from precooking than big pots of stock.

Fair enough but that's not stock is it. The really deep lamb flavour that I get with some lamb curries could only come from a proper stock and I'm betting that somewhere in the trade there are commercial stock granules that do the job.

Precooking just doesn't have the same effect.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 21, 2014, 08:25 AM »
Secret Santa

I would give the cube a try. It's the best lamb stock I've come across. Yes making from scratch would produce significantly better. Only top chefs do this.

I've not made lamb for curry so can't comment on the residue being what's used. I'm sure it is. From making IFFU chicken I don't feel the residue makes a step change in the curry. In fact I've gone full circle from chucking adding it (albeit 1 Htbsp) to now chucking it. Personal taste I guess what you're used to.

The taste in the adil meat balti was very different - I too would say lamby.

Ive not tried the cube in curry yet.

I have used it to sort a long time dilemma on mousaka. Always wrestled with lamb or beef and tried both but mainly used beef. In short now using beef plus lamb cube.

The cube has I guess a sharp manufactured flavour which seems to fit some uses.

Going forward I will need to reduce salt in balti base to allow for cube salt.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 21, 2014, 09:57 AM »
If anyone has trouble finding the cubes drop me a pm and I can post a few out.  Have the option to buy them individual here for pennies.  Interesting comments.  I always cook lamb (mutton) on-the-bone for curries these days and it's pretty heady stuff already, but I've been carried away with green cardo/mace lately (wonderful combo for meat). I think I'll pop a cube in again next time. My home balti lamb efforts so far are still falling short of the genuine article, particularly in terms of depth of flavour.

Re the Adil certain the balti chicken also contains a "stock" of some sort. Not generally as apparent as with the balti lamb, but my last TA from there was clearly loaded with it.  Overly so.  Plus, from what I've had from there previously the balti chicken often includes visible dark chicken meat.  Interestedly not always.  Thinking the stock(s) could be introduced via the pre-cook or/and the base gravy.  Not sure if I've mentioned this before but the Adil do not use raw chicken when making balti chicken.  One of the guys there told me that it is pre-cooked.  Everything is pre-cooked.

Rob  :)     

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 22, 2014, 10:24 AM »
After much anticipation (and some drastic parking), me and my mate finally got to the Adil last Friday night on our way home from the boat show in Southampton. Didn't bother with starters apart from some poppadoms which came with chilli sauce and a disappointing yoghurt sauce. I ordered the Balti Chicken Tikka Chilli Masala (the Ade Edmunson one) and my mate ordered the Balti Lamb Tikka Masala with a medium naan to share and a jug of mango lassi. Not many people in and service was a bit slow. I have to say that I was disappointed in the meals. I was expecting a curry nirvana moment which never came. There seemed to be something missing from the balti. a bit salty, a taste of stock and not a lot of it. Also I thought

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 22, 2014, 08:04 PM »
Gav Iscon,

Real dissapointed for you and quite a shock.

Interesting on the stock. I only picked the taste up in the lamb dish ie not in the chicken.

The gelatine is big no no for me too. Will be sticking to stock cubes.

Given you say they are in different premises that may be cause - grasping at straws though. As you say our recipe produces very good result and very close to what I experienced.

The midlands has always had a real drawback on consistency - I believe down to chefs moving around.

Me still looking forward to further trip Xmas if it comes off. I'd still love to taste a base.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 22, 2014, 10:26 PM »
Does seem that the Adil has taken a down-turn recently in line with the last offering I had from there.  I reckon a chef (or two) may be missing.  Sorry it wasn't up to scratch Gav.  :(

Rob  :)   

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 22, 2014, 11:02 PM »
Definitely no need to apologise Rob, I'm still glad I went, its ticked of the curry list. I'll await your update if you go to the Adil when they move back to Stoney Lane. Driving past the Al Frash on leaving, it looked a lot busier so I'll be going there next year if not sooner. Looking at the Adil menu I brought home, they didn't knock of the 10% for takeaway either.  >:(

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 23, 2014, 02:24 PM »
Dissapointed, I'll Say :o
The Balti Chicken Spinach, Gav kindly brought all the way from Brum, was less than good.
It was a swift visit, but I had a taste of all three curries, the other two tasted as you would expect
if you

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 23, 2014, 07:13 PM »
It's always a kiss of death when I recommend a restaurant to anybody. I do however know a few people who frequent the Al Frash, and I have only heard (and sampled) good things. My mate always gets me a chicken Balti when he goes and to date they have always been spot on. Oh well, guess that's the Al Frash knackered then as well lol

©2024 Curry Recipes