Author Topic: Three baltis  (Read 252783 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Three baltis
« Reply #370 on: October 13, 2014, 11:02 PM »
Very nice (legit) balti from Saleem's.  Not up to the Adil/Kyber benchmark on-form quality on this occasion though.  Got there about 5.30 pm   Just two diners in and they were finishing up. 

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 01, 2014, 11:52 PM »
Went to Saleems tonight after finding out they were closing up. It's tomorrow they are shutting the doors for good btw. I spoke to Saleem's older brother and he says he may open up another restaurant somewhere else eventually. Anyway.. I did a bit of digging and he said their balti is very simple to make (well he would wouldn't he!) From what I gather you make the stock by cooking meat (esp chickens) with onions. In the finished dish he said all you do is add turmeric, chilli and methi. All very simple he said and no tomatoes like the curry houses do it. There is definitely a very strong taste of rich, fresh chicken stock in their dishes. The sort that comes only from boiling up whole carcasses. I'm already making a rough draft of a Saleems replica. If it turns out alright I'll post up my recipe in due course.

All the best.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 21, 2014, 01:22 PM »
Finally got some chicken feet.  67 p per kilo.  I'll get the stock done.  Also re-thinking the balti cooking technique in line with something Jerry mentioned recently.

Rob  :)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 21, 2014, 05:49 PM »
Quick update. Almost 2.5 hrs in and looking mighty fine.   500 g feet/250 g wing.  1 black cardo, 5 black peppercorns, 2 clove, 2 tsp turmeric, 1 tbsp veg oil/butter ghee, 1 tbsp salt. Getting quite excited.

Edit:  Plus 3 cloves of fresh garlic.

Edit: And a small onion.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 06:22 PM by Bengali Bob »

Online Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 21, 2014, 06:45 PM »
I thought this forum had reached a peak of bizzare just recently.

Clearly I was mistaken.  ???

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: November 21, 2014, 07:53 PM »
I really don't want to put my foot in it Rob, but not even your camera skills can make what's in that pot look appetising.  Love to stay a bit longer but it's Friday and time to hot foot it down the pub.
Let us know how it turns out mate.

Curry on, but just for tonight, i'll say put your best foot forward.  You can take your pick as to which one  ;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 21, 2014, 08:56 PM »
Bengalibob,

You have to take risks. We just don't know enough to put a scientific view on balti.

Just be careful on the QTY of the carcass stock. I followed currytesters base once and I feel with hindsight got carried away and failed to stay objective. In short I used too much and it put me off well and truly. 

As we know from BIR balance is key.

Fingers crossed or should that be toes.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 21, 2014, 09:04 PM »
MushroomMike,

Dropped lucky for sure. Real dedication too.

A lot rings true of what you say.  I find the turmeric difficult as I know it works best adding to base (and adding more than gut feeling - would need to check but I think I use 30 ml per 800g onion or 8 portions).

Looking forward to how you get on.

We need to get a tasting of the base. Hint for Xmas trip.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 22, 2014, 08:10 AM »
The yakhni is done.  A good 6 hr boil concentrated it down.  Strained and cooled it.  Gelatinous. Lip-smacking almost MSG-like.  Next, how do I get it into a balti?   Don't want to over-do it. Game on.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,12276.320.html

Any thoughts on the appearance/finish in the Saleem's balti pic Jerry?  I was thinking milk, an addition to balti base that Unclefrank mentioned to me some time ago.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 22, 2014, 08:49 PM »
Bob,

I take the pic on pg 36.

It don't look brill to me. It looks split and too much oil. I myself just on the pic would not go back.

Trouble is I know the sauce below could taste brill. I also know you can ask for variants and get a dish more to your own like without loosing out on taste.

For me I guess I'm also stuck in adil mode. Hit the spot and the home version needs no improvement.

I still feel we need to taste a base ie is the "stock" in or added at dish fry or as chewy says for BIR added via liquid with the meat. This would sit well with veg menu. Also perhaps better control on using such a strong ingredient and not wanting to overpower.

On milk I've no experience. Gut feeling no as balti has a rawness that I feel is key. I use carnation at dish fry all the time and it produces a very different result. I'm just guessing.

©2024 Curry Recipes