Author Topic: Three baltis  (Read 252902 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Three baltis
« Reply #500 on: March 04, 2015, 08:17 PM »
Littlechilli,

No we did not get in a kitchen (have no need). Bengalibob managed to get a portion of base which I now have and working on. May start new post for the detail depends how it goes.

Already had 1st go and got stuck. The base really seems to have nothing in it which makes it very difficult to copy cat. Commis may well of helped - my 1 st go was far too sweet and not dark enough.

Rob was right on the day suggesting the base was packed with oil. I used 120g of veg oil in 800g onion and could not get it to surface.

A long way to go though.

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 04, 2015, 08:40 PM »
...... May start new post for the detail depends how it goes.....

I hope you mean a new post in the Three Baltis thread Jerry. Personally I think it should all stay here as its all on the 'Birmingham Balti'

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 04, 2015, 08:49 PM »
I hope you mean a new post in the Three Baltis thread Jerry. Personally I think it should all stay here as its all on the 'Birmingham Balti'
Agreed,  all balti info that's worth follow up is within this one post  :D

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 04, 2015, 08:51 PM »

Agreed,  all balti info that's worth follow up is within this one post  :D

Hoi... Easy tiger, theres a good post on the EU status applied for Geordie Balti somewhere on here ;D

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 04, 2015, 08:56 PM »
Jerry
One thing I have noticed about the Al Frash baltis I have eaten has been a slightly coarse texture by which I mean its as if it hasn't been blended for long enough? The subtle flavours were frustratingly familiar but so far I have not been able to identify many.  Cant say I have tasted any sour notes like tamarind though.
 I think a lot more ginger than garlic, say 80:20? plenty of coriander powder and a small amount of turmeric. Just my tuppenth worth
The balti "Holy Grail" seems way beyond my reach.

Best of luck to you Jerry and Bengali Bob.
It seems that less is more (and i dont mean that in any derogatory way George). Im sure that when the Balti is cracked, we will all be kicking ourselves over its simplicity.

Regards

Mick

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 04, 2015, 09:07 PM »
...In short balti base is a dumb down version of BIR perhaps both very similar in the distant past. Of course the dumbing down not applying to the spicing which is a type of challenge i like.

Interesting, MDB, that you mention "less is more". Chimes perfectly with Jerry's take on Balti quoted above. I'm sure Jerry will be the guy to crack it. His tenacity, inquisitiveness, attention to detail and analytical approach is pretty unique on this forum.

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 04, 2015, 09:13 PM »
My Al Frash was spot on Mick and the Imran was very similar, no course texture and what I could only describe as light and fresh. Both Chewy and I agreed that that there is a stand out taste for which we could smell in his Mangal balti mix. I'm sure you'll be right that we'll be slapping our stupidity when its cracked. I wish I could buy them up here. My only other problem is that i've been to a few now and only 2 have been similar with the rest a million miles away. Will the real 'Birmingham Balti' please stand up.

I'll be back for more.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 04, 2015, 10:32 PM »
Light and fresh Gav. Yes I agree   Not heavy nor sickly. Dangerously addictive. I cant savour a good balti.... I have to wolf it down. Without a doubt my favourite curry

100%. Spot on too Naga.
Jerry is the best man for the job without a doubt. Im just getting restless. Its been a while since we have heard much on the balti front from Bengali Bob for the last couple of weeks.......

Regards

Mick

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 04, 2015, 10:37 PM »
......Im just getting restless.......... .

Impatient bugger...we've only been waiting a year and a half  ;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 07, 2015, 10:27 AM »
many thanks for all the thoughts they are appreciated - you never know what will lead to that break through.

alas i'm stuck. ive now made Rev2 base and starting to understand the real base and how poor mine is in comparison.

this is all hit and miss and wont put the detail into this post.

there is an overriding flavour in the real base - that i've never come across. if you asked me to say what it tastes like i'd say i don't know. if you forced me to say it would be some form of gravy browning but i'm convinced it's not.

have attached pic of the Rev2 comparison which shows the big gap. easy to pick out the real deal

summary so far:
1) not blended
2) tamarind is in
3) no turmeric
4) lots of oil (none at dish frying like i think Taz)
5) on look out for this missing taste - going to buy fresh methi and rose petal (if i can get in warrington)

on the upside - the adil recipe and chef masala developed earlier in this thread are delivering. everything has been eaten and enjoyed.

©2024 Curry Recipes