Author Topic: Tonight's Dinner: Methi Chicken  (Read 21409 times)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Tonight's Dinner: Methi Chicken
« on: September 11, 2013, 08:23 PM »
I've been growing methi in a big tub in the garden for a couple of months now, and, now that the plants have grown to a reasonable size, I thought it was time to put them to use.

After seeing Bengali Bob's thread on Methi Chicken in the BIR-style using Chewy's Madras recipe as its basis, I've fancied doing a similar dish for a while now. Rather than go down the road to Madras (which is, by the way, an excellent recipe which I have made and enjoyed a good few times!), I settled on trying a recipe from Sanjay Thumma (VahChef) which seemed a bit more in the traditional style.

The ingredients

Cumin Seeds, onions and salt in

Then the G/G paste and turmeric

In with the tomatoes

Followed by the spices, chillies and yoghurt

After some cooking, in with the chicken

After some more cooking and reduction, coriander and chaat masala, it's ready!

On the plate

The photography was below par, but the Methi Chicken was excellent! I was a bit conservative with the amount of fresh methi leaves I used, but I would probably add about half again now that I've actually tasted the dish. Definitely a keeper! :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tonight's Dinner: Methi Chicken
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 09:22 PM »
Great post Naga.  Looks very tasty.  Hope the pics do the dish justice  ;)  For now i'll stick to the BIR versions made as by BB, with fresh or dried meethi.  Tried them both  - very good  :P  Obviously i'm one that likes fresh meethi  :D

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 10:04 PM »
That looks really really nice. On the list  :)

Offline Rob-phall-ike

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 07:58 PM »
Cracking recipe (and pics) and one I will be looking forward to in the near future.
Yum.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 03:08 PM »
By coincidence I made almost exactly the same curry last night because I came about it through the vahchef youtube video. I think the only difference is that I added a tsp of English mustard and some black cumin and methi seeds.

Now I have to say, as I often do, what a let down this was. I used a full bunch of fresh methi and it had no perceptible affect on the dish other than adding green, wilted flecks to its appearance.

As I was perusing other methi threads I saw a picture of some methi which appears to have veins or ribs and I'm pretty sure mine did not, it had ovalish, veinless and smooth leaves. I'm left wondering if there are different varieties of fresh methi being sold, some better than others? The fresh leaves did have the faintest hint of the dried methi aroma to them though.

It has to be said though that saag dishes leave me equally unmoved because to me the spinach adds bulk and texture but no perceptible flavour.

An enjoyable curry but not exactly what I was expecting from others' reports.

©2024 Curry Recipes