Author Topic: Shikar ka vindaloo (pork in vinegar)  (Read 2691 times)

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Shikar ka vindaloo (pork in vinegar)
« on: October 27, 2013, 10:49 AM »
Got the idea for this Southern India dish from an old(ish) book, picked up recently at a second-hand shop.  The Encyclopaedia of Indian Cooking, by Khalid Azid.  Wild boar is preferred, but the book reckons "stronger flavoured" cuts of pork are fine too, so I went with whatever Asda had on their reduced price shelf.  The idea, apparently, is that vinegar counters the fattiness of the pork.  The recipe itself looks like a fairly ordinary sort of vindaloo, with plenty of whole spices, including poppy seeds.  I made it "BIR" style, with pre-cooked meat, base gravy, etc.

Served with Aunt Bessie's roast potatoes.

A pretty fabulous curry to be honest.  Might add some sliced apple next time.

Rob  :)

Offline Waterdiddy

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Shikar ka vindaloo (pork in vinegar)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 02:41 PM »
WOW! - that sauce looks real good, m8... fair play sir!

Though I don't eat pork myself, I am thinking of mutton, chicken etc to do the same.

Thanks for that one, mucker! Hope you enjoyed it!

Pete

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Shikar ka vindaloo (pork in vinegar)
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 07:34 PM »
I do like pork.  The lean stuff pre-cooked is great and makes a nice change from chicken.  Kashmiri chilli powder for vindaloo works a treat.  Almost forgot the starter for this one.

Shami kebab

Kushi kebab recipe with added ajwain seeds.  Swapped the Patak's Kashmiri paste for madras kebab paste. Salt to taste.  Very fine.  Served with a simple onion salad, and garnished with mini courgette/butternut squash pin-wheels.  Later drizzled with mint dip.

Rob  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes