Author Topic: Storing Spices  (Read 5511 times)

Offline mtrueman

• Chef
    • View Profile
Storing Spices
« on: February 20, 2014, 11:21 AM »
Hi all,

I'm new here and have just bought a shed load of spices online as I am planning to make my first BIR curry this weekend using one of the great recipes on here. (CA's madras)

I was wondering what you guys use to store your spices. I'm thinking just normal jam jars will suffice but wondered if anyone used anything specific and for any reason. I quite like the terrine jars - does anyone know of the cheapest place to get them?

Ta muchly

Mark

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Storing Spices
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 11:29 AM »
Dark, cool, airtight and for a short period only; nothing else matters, IMHO.
** Phil.

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 11:52 AM »
IMHO better to buy whole spices and grind them yourself, if possible, ground spices don't retain their flavour very long.

Les

Offline mtrueman

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 12:51 PM »
Cheers, looks like i'll have to make a ton of curries then in order to get through all of these ground spices before they go bad  ;)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 12:57 PM »
Yes, I do think that some of us (myself included) tend to go overboard when buying ready-ground spices.  Because the bulk packs represent far better value than the smaller sizes, we buy those and then find that they have gone stale long before the packet is more than a quarter empty.  And worse, some of us (also myself included) do not learn from our mistakes !

** Phil.

Offline LouP

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 01:16 PM »
I just got some of those pegs that seal the tops of the plastic bags from Ikea and all my spices are in a giant sandwich type box (From Home bargains ?2.49) in a dark cupboard so hopefully they will be alright like that.

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 02:19 PM »
Mine are all rolled up and secured with elastic bands and stored in a 10 litre mayo tub in a dark cupboard. Love the missus telling my off repeatedly when they're spread out all over the table.   ;D ;D

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 02:47 PM »
Powdered spices, don't "go bad" they just go stale if left open, this will take months to happen.

If your not bothered about aesthetics, used coffee jars are good storage, Ikea Droppar jars are good,
their Rajtan spice jars are very good and airtight.

I use them all, plus I received a spice carousel, xmas gift for my obsession, which is similar to the
Ikea Rajtan jars, but has shaker lids and it spins, Whoopdedoo. ;D ;D

Very neat and organised, compared to my spice shed LOL. :o ;D

Spice Shed

cheers Chewy

Offline mtrueman

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 02:52 PM »
Looking good there CT. Looks like i might end up demanding more cupboard space :D. The spice shed particularly has peaked my interest as im about to build a summer house/pool room/man shed and might have to add "spice shed" onto it's list of purposes.

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 03:02 PM »
Looking good there CT. Looks like i might end up demanding more cupboard space :D. The spice shed particularly has peaked my interest as im about to build a summer house/pool room/man shed and might have to add "spice shed" onto it's list of purposes.

Don't believe him when he says spice shed. I've seen it and its more like a corner shop indian supplys company.  ;D ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes