Author Topic: Simply Basic - Chicken Curry  (Read 6527 times)

Offline Samurai

• Chef
    • View Profile
Simply Basic - Chicken Curry
« on: April 02, 2014, 11:35 PM »
Following from the base gravy of the previous post, this basic chicken curry offers a good starting point for beginning currionados with a focus that is more on flavour than heat (although can be easily bumped up on the Scoville scale with a few choice chillies). 

While there are less "layers" to this recipe than some more advanced curries, the key here is to use a good garam masala.  Good, in this case, refers to whichever one you prefer (as GMs are varied and rather subjective in flavor).  I use a masala recipe that was given to me by a local Indian restaurant owner, which contains a "secret" ingredient that took me forever to find - but was well worth it!

This recipe is fairly large, but can be cut down proportionally for those who wish to make smaller batches:

CURRY INGREDIENTS
12-16 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or 6 breasts) - torn, not cubed
4 medium sized yellow onions - pureed
4-5 tbsp. ginger/garlic paste
2 large fresh tomatoes - pureed
1/2 can (156 ml) tomato paste
1/2 can (355 ml) coconut milk
1/2 tsp. tandoori masala
2 tbsp. coriander powder
2 tbsp. cumin powder
2 tbsp. garam masala
1 tbsp. Kashmiri chili powder
1 tbsp. turmeric
1 tsp. salt
Cilantro to garnish

METHOD
Prepare chicken by putting in a large bowl with a touch of oil, 1 tbsp. ginger/garlic paste and 1 tbsp. garam masala.  Mix well into the chicken pieces, cover and put in fridge to marinate (ideally 24 hours).

Fry the pureed onions in 1/2 cup peanut oil along with a handful of whole cumin seeds in a large non-reactive skillet on medium heat.  Once the onions and cumin seeds are browned (to a rich dark color), add in 4 tbsp. ginger/garlic paste and cook for another 3 minutes.  Then add in spice mix:
- 2 tbsp. coriander powder
- 2 tbsp. cumin powder
- 2 tbsp. garam masala
- 1 tbsp. turmeric
- 1 tbsp. Kashmiri chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt

Saute the mixture for about 2-3 minutes to form a thick paste and then add in the tomato puree (all ingredients blended together):
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1/2 small can tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. tandoori masala

Continue to cook the mixture for approximately 8 minutes (on low-med heat to neutralize the acid of the tomatoes), then add in 2 bags of Simply Basic base gravy and cook for another 2 minutes.  Add in the chicken pieces (which have been brought to room temperature) and 2 cups of water.  Cook for about 15 minutes, then add in the coconut milk.  Continue to simmer on low heat until the chicken is tender (approx. 30 minutes).  Adjust salt to taste and add in a handful of cilantro leaves just prior to serving.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 12:37 AM by The_7th_Samurai »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Simply Basic - Chicken Curry
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 04:36 PM »
Thanks Sam...but you can't tell us there's a secret ingredient to the GM and not divulge it!

And what with mention of yellow onions, cilantro and, in your base sauce post, baggies I detect a definite Americanism here.  ;)

Edit: from another of your posts "Realizing that cricket is likely the norm, are there any baseball leagues in the UK?". That nails it!  ;D

Offline Samurai

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 06:52 PM »
Ha - I should say "secret to me".  He called it Pippali but I believe it's more commonly called Long Pepper (which must be used in the proper ratio with the other more traditional ingredients):

http://www.worldspice.com/spices/long-pepper

But you've cut me deep with your aspersions of "Americanism".  I am, of course, highly offended by the implication as we are much better hockey players than our more flamboyant neighbors, eh?  And better curriers too I'd wager  ;)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 10:07 PM »
I am, of course, highly offended by the implication as we are much better hockey players than our more flamboyant neighbors, eh?

Ah yes you do share a large amount of their terminology! I'll treat you to a nice portion of Poutine to make amends.  ;D

Never even heard of that long pepper and I doubt anyone in the UK BIR industry has either. I think that definitely puts it under the heading of secret ingredient though as you say.

©2024 Curry Recipes