Author Topic: Pre cooked chicken  (Read 2692 times)

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Pre cooked chicken
« on: April 17, 2014, 10:01 AM »
Hi Guys

I usually cook my curries with fresh chicken straight in at the start and have always thought that the results were great! I am now going to cook 3 curries for 30 people over the Bank Holiday,..... Korma, CTM and Madras so the pre cooked scenario is looming. I just wanted to know what the consensus was regarding what the quality is like etc. Some say it can go tough, some say if you cook it on a simmer for quite a long time 30-40 minutes, it actually softens up and absorbs the flavour of the pre cooking liquor.

I'm in a quandry?!?! I am happy to do either way I just want the best taste.

Ed

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Pre cooked chicken
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 05:35 PM »
I do the same and generally add raw chicken directly, however I sometimes pre-cook the chicken using the Viceroy pre-cook recipe which you can find on the site somewhere, I found the results to be good.

I like the fact that you can then add a bit of the spiced oil to start the cooking process, a little bit more work but worth the effort if you have the time. I still usually don't bother 'cos I'm lazy and I find it a little oilier.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 03:24 PM »
 I have been precooking chicken in the base sauce , which did give some flavour but it can become a little tough, but recentley I have been seeling the chicken in the oil in the pan  that I am cooking the curry in, removing chicken then cook curry , fry garlic, fry spices add toms then add chicken then base etc

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 06:59 PM »
Hi Madrasandy, CT also said to do it for 20 mins in the garabi, which i did and then let sit in some left over stock from CBM's advanced pre cooked potatoes to keep it moist. I did about 3 and a 1/2 kilos for about 20 people in the pub and it was so soft that when i cut the chunks into bite size pieces to add to Korma and Madras (yours) it nearly fell to bits, it was great!!!

Cheers

Ed

©2024 Curry Recipes