Author Topic: Dipuraja1  (Read 3403 times)

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Dipuraja1
« on: April 20, 2014, 12:31 PM »
Hi

I like Dips recipes, especially the sheesh and his bombay potatoes, is he still about? Whats is his background etc, just curious

Ed

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dipuraja1
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 05:07 PM »
he finished posting years ago
I don't think anyone knows what happened to him
I wonder if he died

He had such an interest in showing people his cooking
Even if he lost his current job, I think he would have still answered youtube questions

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 07:49 PM »
Guys

Dips vids and recipes are interesting as its mainly all done in one go, what are your guys opinion on this technique

Ed

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 09:54 PM »
Guys

Dips vids and recipes are interesting as its mainly all done in one go, what are your guys opinion on this technique

Ed

Not exactly sure what you mean? Are you asking about his videos being shot in one take or some cooking technique that he's showing and if so which or what?

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 07:35 AM »
Hi SS

His cooking technique is what I'm asking about, he pretty much puts all the ingredients in together and boils the dish?

Ed

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 09:09 AM »
It's not all that uncommon Ed. The Taz curries use an extra oily base and his curry cooking method is to bung it all in a bit like Dip does (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,4163.0.html). And the Glasgow curries that Alex posted also use the bung it all in method too.

With Dip though I'm not sure if he isn't just doing it for the demo and maybe he does the more usual method in reality?

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 10:35 AM »

His cooking technique is what I'm asking about, he pretty much puts all the ingredients in together and boils the dish?

Ed

This method doesn't work for me the same way  that the BB1 Glasgow curries don't.
I said from day one that the method was suspect and I was right.
I've been living in Scotland (just outside of Glasgow) on and off now for almost 2 years. And for the first year, eating 1-2 curries a week from dozens of different takeaways And restaurants , until I said enoughs enough!

For the last few months of that period. I would only order a staff curry until I finally came to my senses and admitted defeat. I didn't want to eat any more lamb or chicken tej patta (AKA staff curry)  even if they were on the bone and looked fabulous.
The main problem with this method is with the g/g paste and the spices.
Almost every curry I've tried has a dominant flavour of raw garlic and ginger and is devoid of spice.
The only curries I'd recommend in Scotland would be the desi style dishes mostly ordered from the smaller Pakistani places.
You can get lucky with your local if you can arrange for them to make you a one-off special desi dish, but I've gambled and been disappointed too many times now so will stick with the Pakistani outlets.

Cheers, Frank.  :)

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 11:56 AM »
im surprised at that Frank, there is loads of amazing takeaways in Glasgow with the explosion of spice that tingle your tasebuds, my 2 favourite are the Punjabi @ charing cross and mother india across from the museum in kelvingrove

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 12:41 PM »
I've been to the Punjabi and although I found their rice, breads and sides excellent, the curries were lacking.
Being a cut above most, they do understand how to cook so there isn't the typical raw flavour of g/g running through everything and I will eat there again.
Not been to Mother India yet. I'm holding out until august for the release of their book so I can compare the recipes to what is served in the restaurant.

My current favourite place is the New Karahi Palace, nelson St.
Only 10 mins walk from Central stn and you can get some shopping in on the way from Babylon just across the bridge.
They sell fresh goat meat too.  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes