Author Topic: biryani recipe  (Read 8683 times)

Offline Simplysandy

• Chef
    • View Profile
biryani recipe
« on: June 01, 2014, 11:10 AM »
Has anyone got a really good biryani recipe? Together with one for the vegetable curry that comes with it please 😀. I have been looking through the site for over an hour, many thanks 😃

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: biryani recipe
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 07:38 PM »
I claim (whether or not this claim is justified is another matter entirely) that my lamb/mutton/goat biryanies are equal to or better than anything you will find in most restaurants today.  But before you read on, they come with no accompanying vegetable curry -- I detest the stuff, and have never even wanted to try to re-create it.  But if you are interested in a good lamb curry, and willing to seek elsewhere for the accompanying vegetable curry, then start here.

First, I keep a pot of lamb curry sauce; it gets recycled every time I make a lamb biryani.  Then, I saut
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 08:10 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 08:32 PM »
Sounds lovely Phil. Apart from the boiled egg and the seemingly obligatory 'My Pickle is Better than your Pickle' comments that seem to be dominating the debates these days.

Got any pics?  :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 08:58 PM »
("Got any pics ?") -- No, always in too much of a hurry to eat it.  Tonight was no exception.  But if I re-heat the remainders tomorrow (which I almost certainly will), I will endeavour to control my carnal lusts long enough to take a photograph or two ...

** Phil.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 09:21 PM »

I will endeavour to control my carnal lusts long enough to take a photograph or two ...

Intriguing, Phil. Not sure if you should post pics of your carnal lust though (should it last long enough)

8)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 09:38 PM »
(Ex. OED) :

Carnal, adj : 

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 09:06 AM »
As Phil points out a traditional style Biryani is well worth the effort and I assume that the first few on here will be top notch.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=chiccken+byriani

For the Vegatable sauce just follow either a Bombay Aloo recipe adding veg of your choice or do a half portion of plain curry adding the veg of your choice. (madras hot for me please)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 05:28 PM »
i use Dipuraja's method and recipe. for the rice i add coconut flour at the end along with marrow fat peas. the options are endless though and you can add or take out what ever ingredient you take a fancy too. i used dry apricots for a while as an example but now ditched them. chopped almonds are a must for me.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4518.0

i'm not sure if Dipuraja uses a veg sauce. i no likey and use a plain curry sauce.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 06:06 PM »
chopped almonds are a must for me.

It has to be cashews for me mixed into the rice because that's how it was done when I first started to eat Biryani several decades ago now. I've never heard of marrowfat peas being used before though - is that your own thing or some Northern slant on it?

i'm not sure if Dipuraja uses a veg sauce. i no likey and use a plain curry sauce.

Honestly, that you and Phil both dislike the veg curry that accompanies the Biryani amazes me. I have to say I haven't had one for a very long time but when I did it was a sublime experience and easily one of the defining fllavours of the BIR trade. So simple but oh so tasty and I'm no keen vegetarian. The marriage of a decent Biryani along with the veg curry was a sublime experience, so much so that I used to eat biryani for lunch daily for a good year or more.

I'm almost scared to buy one now lest it ruins those good memories.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 08:35 PM »
The obligatory photograph, as requested.  I'm afraid there wasn't much lamb left, mainly rice, but it nonetheless gives a reasonably accurate impression of the appearance of the finished dish.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes