Author Topic: Jb's takeaway base gravy  (Read 312283 times)

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Jb's takeaway base gravy
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2014, 09:09 PM »
MA,

What base are you using at the moment???.

littlechilie

« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2014, 09:33 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the photos MA, also any other photos relating to this base or final curry posted

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2014, 09:38 PM »
London , using cross between my base, taz base and kd2 base, all experimental of course, all very good but no eureka moment as of yet.
 Thats why I am now making Jb's base in the search for the perfect one ( for my tastebuds anyhow), whether it will be better than anything else remains to be seen , but my fingers are well and truly crossed.

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2014, 11:11 PM »
Looking forward to your results, I've got a freezer full of chewy's base which tastes nice, but I've not cooked a curry with it yet.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2014, 02:04 AM »
Is it going to be a Madras test curry MA? Think this is my standard testing curry of choice followed by a korma, if they both pass then it's a another keeper :)
I'm not a sweet curry fan but still appreciate the flavour of a BIR korma, also the need to keep the Wife Happy  :P

Jesus Christ on a cross littlechilie!

How can you not be a sweet curry fan and yet promote the disgustingly sweet (to the point of nausea) BIR korma as one of your reference points? :o

littlechilie

« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2014, 07:26 AM »
Yep good point SS I slipped up there! Shame on me, I take it all back ;) KarmaLoo ! ! ;D

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:51 AM by littlechilie »

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2014, 10:17 AM »
Morning all, blended the base earlier this morning , brought back up to heat, it tasted ok nothing special really, or should I say nothing more special than your normal base.
I then fried the garlic, added garlic and oil to base , added half ladle base to the garlic pan and sizzled and de-glazed and added back to base. The smell was becoming more BIR , a little taste and it was improving a little. Brought the base upto boil for a few minutes and turned down and left it on a very gentle simmer , as I kept popping into the kitchen the aroma was getting stronger , the flavour was improving .
 After 1 hour simmering turned off heat had a taste, wow , bloody lovely, definately has something other bases havent.
 Is it the best base I have made ? possibly
 Is it as good as the restaurant bases I have tasted? Possibly.

I will not say this is the one, eureka, goldilocks moment or anything else about the base until I have done some tests on it. But what I will say is it is bloody lovely and very very promising!!!!

Thankyou Jb for sharing this , I am really looking forward to anything else that surfaces from your takeaway experience, cheers :)

littlechilie

« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2014, 10:29 AM »
Morning Andy great update with your progress regarding jb's base, this is getting more interesting day by day. Can I ask how much garlic u fried please?
Thanks

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2014, 10:37 AM »
Morning lc, as I made a 1.5kg version instead of the full 3kg version I used 1 small garlic clove which I put through a garlic press then added to 1 chef spoon of hot oil and fried for a minute or so until browned, stiring all the time.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2014, 12:14 PM »
Morning all, blended the base earlier this morning , brought back up to heat, it tasted ok nothing special really, or should I say nothing more special than your normal base.
I then fried the garlic, added garlic and oil to base , added half ladle base to the garlic pan and sizzled and de-glazed and added back to base. The smell was becoming more BIR , a little taste and it was improving a little. Brought the base upto boil for a few minutes and turned down and left it on a very gentle simmer , as I kept popping into the kitchen the aroma was getting stronger , the flavour was improving .
 After 1 hour simmering turned off heat had a taste, wow , bloody lovely, definately has something other bases havent.
 Is it the best base I have made ? possibly
 Is it as good as the restaurant bases I have tasted? Possibly.

I will not say this is the one, eureka, goldilocks moment or anything else about the base until I have done some tests on it. But what I will say is it is bloody lovely and very very promising!!!!

Thankyou Jb for sharing this , I am really looking forward to anything else that surfaces from your takeaway experience, cheers :)

No problem,I've been on this forum since it started and its's given me a lot of info over the years,for free I might add,so anything I can give back is a pleasure.As soon as I get back in there I will let everyone know.

©2024 Curry Recipes