Author Topic: Jb's takeaway base gravy  (Read 310683 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Jb's takeaway base gravy
« Reply #400 on: April 14, 2015, 11:53 PM »
It's very difficult to spell proper when your on a 7" tablet and with my eyes as they now are plus sausage fingers.  I try to fix things and it can take ages or make it worse so as long as it's close I'm good.

Actually, I usually use Tbsp and tsp to avoid confusion, but in that chart I didn't for some reason.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 15, 2015, 12:29 AM »
...sausage fingers...

Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

Sausage fingers.  ;D

Offline Pugs

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 16, 2015, 01:16 PM »
Ok thanks Livo  ;)

Offline Pugs

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 16, 2015, 01:37 PM »
What stage can you freeze this before or after adding the Tarka?

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 16, 2015, 03:22 PM »
I freeze mine once the entire cooking process has been completed, i.e., after the tarka. No problems.

Offline DeadBeat

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: April 16, 2015, 08:17 PM »
I must admit I've been quite slack in trying lots of bases from this site over the years and have stuck mainly with CT or CA's. I tried this and was quite excited to be trying something different, especially with the positive reviews.

However, .....I just don't like it. I tried it with JB Madras recipe, and tqice to make sure I didn't mess up on the first attempt.

Maybe it's a regional thing? Where is the base from? I know curries in the south, midlands and north can vary quite dramatically in taste.

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 19, 2015, 01:08 AM »
I tried this base last night for the first time in my own madras recipe and was quite impressed. I certainly got one or two elusive BIR flavours. The sort you recognise but can't quite put your finger on...I think next time I make it I may be tempted to tarka all of the garlic plus ginger and spices to maximise the "hit" as having tasted it before and after the one clove was added I don't think there was much difference.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 19, 2015, 07:50 AM »
......after the one clove was added I don't think there was much difference.

That's also my take - I tarka half a bulb of garlic, otherwise I leave the recipe as is. I don't really notice a strong garlic flavour coming through from the finished base, but then I do like lots of garlic so I'm maybe conditioned to the taste.

PS: I should also add that I tend to make half-quantities of jb's base, so that's half a bulb of garlic to 1.5kg of onions.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 01:26 PM by Naga »

littlechilie

« Reply #408 on: May 28, 2015, 08:12 PM »
Hi Jb, I have just made your base again using the method below, It just astounds me how good this base really is. My full apprecintion to you sir.
 8)

I'm posting my thanks and a link SR has created using your base and a pressure cooker here out of respect, it works a treat.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,13939.0.html

LC

Offline chilli pepper

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 06, 2015, 04:21 PM »
Is there an alternative to using "coconut block"? I am unable to buy it where I live, would a quantity of coconut milk produce the same results does anyone know?

©2024 Curry Recipes