Author Topic: Jb's takeaway base gravy  (Read 310556 times)

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Jb's takeaway base gravy
« Reply #410 on: August 06, 2015, 04:44 PM »
I'd use coconut milk powder if you can get it. Where do you live?

I'd omit the coconut block rather than using coconut milk as it's going to change the base to much for my liking.

Offline chilli pepper

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 06, 2015, 08:04 PM »
Hi and thanks for the reply. I don?t think I can get coconut milk powder either  :( My only chance is a small indian spice shop that supplies the restaurants, so it may be worth me asking in there - although all I have ever seen in there is dessicated coconut and milk. What exactly is "Coconut block"? Is it a chilled product or to be found on the shelf? I?m in Fuerteventura, Canary Islands

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 06, 2015, 10:59 PM »
Spices of India deliver to the Canary Islands, although the shipping charge is a hefty

Offline Pugs

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 13, 2015, 01:00 PM »
The chef then explained that in the takeaway they leave the gravy like this(it's quite thick) and then add water to thin when they need it.It should be very thin,like watery soup.However when it hits the hot pan it will thicken.Finally take another pan,add a chef's spoon of oil and add a very finely chopped garlic clove and brown it.Tip this into the gravy(rinse the garlic pan out with a spoon of gravy).This seemed to give the gravy a fantastic smokey like flavour.Simmer the sauce for about half an hour and the oil should begin to rise.

I haven't tried this base yet but can somebody clarify what we do at home at this stage? Do we add enough water to turn into watery soup, add the garlic tarka, cook on and then divide up to freeze down\use up? Or should it be that the final stage is only done when about to use in a curry?

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 13, 2015, 01:20 PM »
For making a curry, I use equal parts of JB's base and water.

As I invariably make double-portion curries, I freeze the finished base in 225g portions (using small, self-sealing supermarket food bags), then add a further 225g of water when I'm ready to cook.

Works for me! :)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 13, 2015, 01:34 PM »
Just put of interest, I use a spreadsheet to record my most-used recipes and to provide a scalable guide in case I have more or less than the 'standard' amount of the main ingredient. I've done this with JB's base...

Original Quantity

Half Quantity (Scalable)

Although the ingredient list doesn't change in any way, typing the amount of main ingredient in the red box scales the rest of the ingredients amounts accordingly.

Offline chilli pepper

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 19, 2015, 02:59 PM »
Thanks for the reply re the coconut "block" naga - thanks to your tesco link I was able to find what I was looking for in the Indian Spice shop, silly me, I didn?t realise "block" was, in fact "creamed Coconut" I?ll now be trying out a madras or two using this base  :)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 19, 2015, 05:20 PM »
...I?ll now be trying out a madras or two using this base  :)

Good luck with your currying! Let us know how you get on. :)

Offline Pugs

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 30, 2015, 01:39 PM »
For making a curry, I use equal parts of JB's base and water.

As I invariably make double-portion curries, I freeze the finished base in 225g portions (using small, self-sealing supermarket food bags), then add a further 225g of water when I'm ready to cook.

Works for me! :)

Cheers, 225g of water or 225ml?

Do you have a copy of your spreadsheet please?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 30, 2015, 02:23 PM »
[225g of water or 225ml?

Unless your water is unusually heavy, I think you will find they are (as near as d@mmit) one and the same thing ...

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes