Author Topic: Curry Pastes ( Pataks style )  (Read 27131 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Curry Pastes ( Pataks style )
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 08:43 AM »
I've just stumbled across this thread while searching for information on Kashmiri Masala and I have to say I find it a very interesting proposition and the detail provided in the .pdf file is great.  If the OP is still hanging around I'd love to ask some questions.

As for the poo-pooing of the Pataks brand, I have to say that after my recent investigations into CTM and Red Masala Sauce / Tikka Sauce, etc, it would seem that if your not using it (in this application anyway)your not following restaurant practise, or at least contemporary practise anyway.  I used some commercial Tandoori and Tikka paste but different brands and I didn't have Kashmiri.  If I'd have had it here and had to use the P then I would have.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 08:55 AM by livo »

Offline Kattis

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 12:05 AM »
I have attached a PDF file that covers my current methodology to produce curry pastes !

these are fermented pastes so the Lactic acid you see on  the label of the commercial curry paste jars is a byproduct of the fermentation process !

I have many different spice blends but the process is the same as described in the attached in producing spice pastes !

The object is to get as close as possible to that perfect curry as you can from a paste and I have set Pataks pastes  as my standard !  given I can not buy these where I live

Please I am open to any comments suggestions and questions !   least it be about my spelling or grammar

:) :)

Cheers

how does one answer here ````

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 12:38 AM »
please explain

Offline Kattis

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 08:43 PM »
what is wrong with using a pre-made paste or powder as a base, ?? as long as it is good ;);)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 01:56 AM »
You will find that there is a divided view, which is fair enough.  Some people are quite happy to use commercial pastes, while others would wear garlic chains around their necks and never allow the abomination over their threshold.
Pataks pastes has a particular place of high esteem in the brand most hated or most used.  It would appear that it's use in Tikka Marinade is accepted, though not essential.

Offline Kattis

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 06:52 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ok i see, i use sometimes ready made powders, but now i have finally found i can order from Amazon herbs and have found a small Indiana shop in G

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 10:04 PM »
I've spent time in Indian restaurants kitchens and I've seen large 2.5kg jars of the pataks madras and balti pastes up on the shelfs and many wholesalers stock these larger 2.5kg jars! but generally they don't like to admit to using it!
I've adapted alot of my curries around then with the addition of fresh curry leaves and certain whole spices can produce a excellent full flavoured curry my favourite one is the Kashmiri paste.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 10:22 PM by Curry addict bob »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 11:04 PM »
The addition of a small amount of Pataks "Mild Curry Paste" to a particular base gravy recipe was one of the first things I investigated here, after I'd read about it over on a RCR.  The promised recipe set to go with the sauce never eventuated. I had never seen the stuff, however I did manage to find a large catering sized jar of the pasts at a hospitality / restaurant supplies market and I really like it.  It definitely reproduces the T/A / restaurant aroma and taste in any dish and a little goes a long way.  I don't use it all the time as I don't want all my curries to taste the same.

Most of the Pataks pastes mentioned on here are not readily available over here.  I can get Tandoori but not Balti, Kashmiri or Tikka, or at least not in standard home use jars anyway.  There is a Tikka and a Balti pre-made sauce in a can but they are a different thing to a paste.  Meat, heat and eat.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 11:19 PM »
I've spent time in Indian restaurants kitchens and I've seen large 2.5kg jars of the pataks madras and balti pastes up on the shelfs and many wholesalers stock these larger 2.5kg jars! but generally they don't like to admit to using it!
I've adapted alot of my curries around ? then with the addition of fresh curry leaves and certain whole spices can produce a excellent full flavoured curry my favourite one is the Kashmiri paste.
Your post doesn

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 10:24 AM »
I've adapted alot of my curries around ? then with the addition of fresh curry leaves and certain whole spices can produce a excellent full flavoured curry my favourite one is the Kashmiri paste.
Your post doesn
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 10:41 AM by Curry addict bob »

©2024 Curry Recipes