Author Topic: Chewytikka  (Read 23324 times)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chewytikka
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2014, 10:35 PM »
...I always do a bulk batch of red masala and freeze it in ice cubes trays and then bag it...

Aye, CH, that's my usual MO too, and I thought I had some frozen but the cupboard was bare. I'm out of the jars and I make my own Kashmiri paste nowadays anyway, but I'm a bit stuffed for the recipes for suitable Tandoori and Tikka pastes.

I must make some more red masala sauce up, because your NIS is definitely up there with the best and its been a couple of months since I last made it.

Anyway, back to Chewy's Bhuna! You won't be disappointed one bit - its a bit like his Madras in that the ingredients are nothing fancy, but the cooking technique and resulting final dish are pretty damn good.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 01:09 AM »
Hi Naga
Looks great, well all your curry cooking looks good. ;)

Glad you gave this a go, layers of flavour

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 01:15 PM »
It's Bhuna, Jim, but not as we know it.

What is it with the lid on thing, Chewy. Of all the BIR/TA things I've seen, I have never known that.....is it some strange Bangladeshi/Geordie fusion idea?

It's a serious question despite the attempt at humour.....I mean I know why you would do it, but it's not BIR as I have come to understand it :)

The lid-on technique is used in more BIRs than you might think garp.  I know one old chef who uses it for many dishes.  Highly recommend giving it a go.  Here's me a while back, cutting my teeth on chewy's madras sauce recipe of all things. I went on to get a lid that fit one of my frying pans.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,11210.msg84775.html#msg84775

Another great vid from chewy.  Made the bhuna last night.  Couldn't help but throw in a few chunky onions.  Top notch!

Rob  :)

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 07:49 PM »
Next weeks curry for me for certain, it was going to be tonights curry but had no onions !!

littlechilie

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 10:59 PM »
Welcome to mine MA I have a very large net of onions to get through  ;D

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2014, 05:54 PM »
Making this for the 2nd time tonight, and the 3rd time ! Family around on Sunday for curries and time is elusive this weekend so am making 3 curries tonight (no meat) that will left in the fridge for Sunday.
The first time I made this last weekend it was an amazing curry, used Jb base and followed the recipe the best I could (bl00dy geordie foreigners  ;)), I have to say it was definately a plate wiping curry if ever there was one.
Cheers CT, do us a favour though for your next video, find some better music !! :o

Classic - CT humming to Bright Eyes , always makes me smile though  :)

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 10:14 PM »
Well, after an epic curry cooking night last night at the man who knows it all, I decided I had to have a go at Chewy's bhuna. Sat through the video this morning and wrote down the ingredients and a rough cooking guide. Had made Jb's base the other night so pre-cooked some boned and skinned chicken leg in a portion. Followed recipe to spec and I have to agree with Andy, its blooming lovely and I've also just had the thumbs up off the daughter (apart from she would have preferred chicken breast). Definitely one to be repeated, which will be next week.  :)
Oh and I had it with a few roasties for a change.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2014, 10:23 PM »
Sunday dinner stylee, like it, but you need 4 peas , a floret of broccoli ,1 carrot , 10 yorkshire puddings , looks bloody lovely Gav, then again I have been drinking since 12.30 lol. Joking apart lovely curry though, I and all my guests really enjoyed this one  :)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2014, 10:30 PM »
Well, after an epic curry cooking night last night at the man who knows it all

I wondered why my kitchen was such a mess this morning. Nice plateful bud  ;D

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2014, 10:36 PM »
Well my missus comes back of holiday tomorrow and being the caring husband I am, I made another Bhuna tonight for tomorrows tea whilst i had all my spices out clearing out the cupboards today. I also made for her a Ceylon Chicken which is her favourite. Ceylon above and Chewy's Bhuna below. Couldn't resist a mouthful and its definitely in my top 3.

©2024 Curry Recipes