Author Topic: chicken madras  (Read 12558 times)

littlechilie

Re: chicken madras
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2014, 08:27 PM »
Interesting point that MA, if u cooked the restaurant base with little noticeable.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2014, 08:34 PM »
Dont get me wrong , you could tell the difference just not as much as you would think. Maybe it is more down to the technique and recipe for the curry than it is the base?

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2014, 09:07 PM »
I sometimes wonder why people get so hung up on bases....add a little this....a little that....maybe a parsnip....boil it for an hour....three hours....oops! don't forget half a carrot..... A base is a base; and should provide texture and a background flavour. No more and no less. Lots of onions and some light spicing is the trick.

As Andrew says, most of the flavour in a finished curry will come from the final spicing, and reduction, in my humble opinion.

littlechilie

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2014, 09:17 PM »
Well put there Garp ;) I think that's exactly it, it's all in the cooking, but without doubt we also need a good base to start with.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2014, 09:21 PM »
I sometimes wonder why people get so hung up on bases....add a little this....a little that....maybe a parsnip....boil it for an hour....three hours....oops! don't forget half a carrot..... A base is a base; and should provide texture and a background flavour. No more and no less. Lots of onions and some light spicing is the trick.

As Andrew says, most of the flavour in a finished curry will come from the final spicing, and reduction, in my humble opinion.
And obviously, not forgetting the most important of all, the technique of pulling it all together.  Without this, you have just another home made curry  :-X

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2014, 09:54 PM »
And obviously, not forgetting the most important of all, the technique of pulling it all together.  Without this, you have just another home made curry  :-X

I thought that's what I'd said :)

littlechilie

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2014, 10:48 PM »
Quite fancy a nice Chicken Madras right about now 8)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2014, 11:10 PM »

All good up to to this point Garp

There loads of ways of doing this which is why every restaurant tastes different & it's not all on here.
But the gravy makes it different from cookbook curries & is crucial regardless of ingredients in terms of ingredients.
jb again reported
On his  latest base being unusable if it's not cooked correctly

Regards
Elw

Offline Dajoca

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2014, 12:19 PM »
Gravy makes a difference.

Some recipes I've tried (posted here and elsewhere), just taste gopping and that almost always carries over into the final dish.
Starting with a poor one is not going to make the task of producing a great curry any easier.

I now have a base recipe that works incredibly well for me, but that's after several years of experimenting and discovering what works and what to avoid.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2014, 01:30 PM »
Gravy makes a difference.

Some recipes I've tried (posted here and elsewhere), just taste gopping ...

I'm sorry, they taste /what/ ?????!
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes