Author Topic: Cooking rice in a pressure cooker  (Read 1756 times)

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Cooking rice in a pressure cooker
« on: September 01, 2014, 09:40 AM »
I've just got a pressure cooker and tried to cook rice in it following a guide from the internet, it turned out well over cooked. Does anyone use a PC to cook rice if so how do you do it, my PC is 12psi if this helps.

Thanks in advance for your help,
London

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Cooking rice in a pressure cooker
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 09:49 AM »
Rice takes ten minutes to cook so wouldn't think to cook it in a pressure cooker.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 12:23 PM »
I always cook my rice in a Pyrex(R) casserole (with lid) in the microwave oven, as does my Chinese/Vietnamese wife (she was brought up to use a rice cooker).  Wash well (until the water runs clear), add to casserole, add water to an excess depth of 1/3", add salt (my wife omits the salt), and cook for 12 minutes at full power.  Then leave for 20 minutes either in a warm oven (80oC) or in the microwave oven at 10%.  The last step can be shortened or omitted if the rice is to be eaten as-is and not fried or converted into a pulao, biryani or similar.  I use basmati rice, my wife uses Thai fragrant/jasmine.

** Phil.

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 04:20 PM »
Phil,

Is the 20 min in the oven just to dry the rice out.

London.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 04:34 PM »
Well, no, it has two functions :  the first is to finish cooking the rice, which takes place as it absorbs any residual moisture; and the second is to dry it so that it can be immediately fried.  For pulao, I fry the spices first (in the casserole), then add the washed, soaked and dried rice and fry for a further two minutes; and then I cook for the full 12 minutes, after which I leave it to rest for a further 20 minutes; but if I am cooking fried rice, then there is no pre-frying, straight in at full power for 12 minutes, then rested for 20 after which it can be immediately fried with zero chance of sticking.  For boiled/steamed rice, you can probably shorten the resting period to 12 minutes or so.

** Phil.

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 05:09 PM »
Phil,

Thanks for clarifying your method, I'll give it a go and report back.

London.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 05:30 PM »
Why would anyone want to cook rice in a pressure cooker?

Like Stephen says, it takes about 10 minutes to steam in a normal saucepan and like Phil, I always wash the starch out of the rice first. If I am making Pilao Rice, I would then leave it to dry before frying it in butter that has added spices and bay, before adding water and steaming it.

Perfect rice every time and individual grains too....

©2024 Curry Recipes