Author Topic: Pre-cooked chicken  (Read 7973 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Pre-cooked chicken
« on: September 18, 2014, 12:56 AM »
I've named this topic to assist others who have experienced the same problem as me, ie; finding a useful and informative discussion about pre-cooked meats in general, but specifically chicken.  I don't claim this to be my own work as I have used the work of others to reach this point.  Credit D. Toombs and some guy I can't find again.

edit: Here it is. http://www.indianrestaurantcooking.com/2013/10/27/how-to-cook-pre-cook-chicken/

In a different place I was told to just boil it in some water with a bit of base gravy thrown in.  Not very helpful and it turned out just how you'd expect. Dull and flavourless.  It wouldn't take on the flavours of the dish when used and it was a real waste of good chicken.

Doing some research the other day led me to some interesting video demonstrations from which I took notes on my observations.  There seems to be a divide over cooking in oil or water.  Having tried water and being disappointed I was curious to see the oil method.  I was surprised by one technique that really cooked the chicken for a long time and in spiced oil, but it was something to think about and I noted the ingredients used.

I then came across another method that used both oil and water and the end result looked really promising.  There were several similarities to the all oil version in technique and ingredients along with obvious differences. 

Being adventurous yesterday I made up something in between the two and even if I do say so myself, it turned out pretty damn good.  So here you go.  Livo's hybrid pre-cooked chicken.  I'll be glad to receive your feedback and tips to improvement.

Common ingredients between the 2 original methods.

1 kg of diced chicken pieces.  (I prefer large pieces of about 40 g each and you can cut smaller later)
Vegetable oil (all oil method used 1 cup and oil / water method used 3 Tbsp)
Green Cardamom pods ( oil method used 10, oil / water used 5)
Cassia Bark / Cinnamon (2" vs 1")
Asian Bay leaf (2 or 3) The size I have is huge so hard to say how many but I'd only use 1 of mine or less.
Salt (oil says 2 tsp and oil / water doesn't specify an amount.)
Tomatoes (oil says 6 tinned pealed, oil / water doesn't list them but tells to add in method.)

Ingredients listed only in the Oil method.
Star Anise 1 whole piece
Mix Powder 2 Tbsp
Garlic / Ginger Paste 2 Tbsp.

Ingredients listed only in the Oil / Water method.
Onions 2 lge finely chopped.
Black Peppercorns 10
Cumin Seeds 1 tsp
Tumeric 1 tsp.

So that is the list of ingredients from both methods.  Yesterday I used the Oil / Water technique but left out some of the ingredients and simplified it down to the basic commonly held ones.

For 300g of chicken I used:

1/2 an onion finely diced.
1 Tbsp of Tomato Puree.
1 tsp of Garlic / Ginger paste.
1 Green Cardamom Pod split open / crushed.
Tiny stick of Cassia Bark (approx. 1" by 1/4 ")
4 Black Peppercorns.
Pinch of Cumin Seeds.
1 Curry Leaf (I used this instead of Bay Leaf as it was in the ingredients list I was using).
1/4 tsp Mix Powder
1/4 tsp Tumeric
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Oil.

Method.

Heat oil and add whole spices and leaf.
Add chopped onions and cook out, stirring. ( I did about 5 minutes)
Add Garlic / Ginger paste and a bit of salt, stirring.
Add Tomato, Tumeric and Mix Powder and cook briefly stirring.
Add the chicken pieces and stir thoroughly to coat well in seasoned onion / tomato mix.
Add enough water to just cover the chicken pieces and bring to heat.
Cover and cook for time required by your chicken size.
Remove from heat and cool.

I stored this in a dish with the cooking liquid but I guess you could drain it.  It was good enough to just eat it as it was, sort of like a chunky chicken broth Indian style.

No doubt you could use or omit any of these ingredients for slightly different results, but this worked well for me.
Please add you comments to improve, criticise, correct or take the P, as you see fit.

Cheers
Livo
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 01:14 AM by livo »

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-cooked chicken
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 08:13 AM »
Hi livo.  The recipe in your link is from the Viceroy Brasserie restaurant Abbots Langley.  I use very similar with the following modifications.  Increase fresh chicken to 1 kg.  Reduce oil to about half a cup (tea cup).  Leave out the star anise.  The initial garlic/ginger spice fry stage (bagar) is the tricky bit.  I usually quench this with a little blended onion/green pepper (in cold water). The recipe/technique needs a little practice as it

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 08:22 AM »
Livo
Some good info there I like to keep things simple and easy
I tablespoon gg paste in pan heat do not burn add chicken and coat well add 2 tablespoons curry base cook till just cooked job done

littlechilie

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 08:33 AM »
NOx, I also cook my chicken till just cooked and tender! I find like this when added to curry they melt in your mouth :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 10:14 AM »
Well done Livo.  I like your clear, analytical, well-presented approach.
** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 10:57 AM »
In a previous life I was a secondary school Industrial Arts, IT and Software Development teacher.  Also dabbled into Engineering Science, Physics, Chemistry and of course Mathematics.

I'm now just a cranky old man, which I much prefer.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 11:07 AM »
NOx, I also cook my chicken till just cooked and tender! I find like this when added to curry they melt in your mouth :)

I watched one video where the guy barely cooked it at all. It would have been still raw 75% through so a lot of cooking to do afterwards in the final dish.  Then in the Viceroy Brasserie video cooked it in oil on low gas for 20 minutes.

There are so many ways to do this that it sometimes makes my head spin.  I was never an artist but more a technical drawing type.  Crooked lines and approximations frustrate the crapola out of anal retentive obsessive compulsives like me. :o  My psych councillor just loves me reading forums like this.  Keeps her in employment.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 11:22 AM »
I'm now just a cranky old man, which I much prefer.

Welcome to the Club !

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 11:38 AM »
I watched one video where the guy barely cooked it at all. It would have been still raw 75% through so a lot of cooking to do afterwards in the final dish.  Then in the Viceroy Brasserie video cooked it in oil on low gas for 20 minutes.

There are so many ways to do this that it sometimes makes my head spin.  I was never an artist but more a technical drawing type.  Crooked lines and approximations frustrate the crapola out of anal retentive obsessive compulsives like me. :o  My psych councillor just loves me reading forums like this.  Keeps her in employment.

:) Don't be surprised to find a few trying to work in tenths of a picolitre on here livo.

Regards
ELW
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 12:48 PM by George »

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 11:58 AM »
PS Never understood why Dan Toombs includes peppercorns in his pre-cooked chicken.  :)

I'm not a fan of Dan Toombs and from seeing some of his videos have no intention of ever reading his books.
But...
black pepper is the most underated spice on this forum.  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes