Author Topic: What is it?  (Read 7066 times)

Offline Korma Chameleon

• Chef
    • View Profile
What is it?
« on: October 08, 2014, 07:52 PM »
I was pretty disappointed with my first attempt at Balti. I prepared by trawling through all Balti recipes, on several forums, to try and find a similar thread that ran through them all. Nothing really stood out, other than many mentioning that Patak's Balti paste was the key. Well having tried it I can tell you that it certainly is not!

So that leaves me pretty flat with nowhere to go on this.

I'm starting to think that the real Brum Balti flavour remains the unknown of these otherwise fantastic forums, forums which have helped me crack the BIR method and massively expand my curry portfolio. So am I correct, or is there anyone out there who thinks they know the key? Is it fennel, starting with more water and boiling down, lots and lots of fresh coriander, using a specific Balti base, or what? Is there anyone that thinks they know the main key towards unlocking a real Brum Balti? Thanks.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: What is it?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 09:33 PM »
KC you have chosen probably the hardest nut of them all to crack.  The different opinons on what a madras should contain and how it should taste are pretty diverse.  But the whole topic of Balti, is like a can of worms.  Check out this thread.  It may take you some way to head in the direction you want to go to achieve something close to the taste you seek.  Good luck with this one and keep us posted on your journey  ;)

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,12276.0.html

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 11:58 PM »
KC

I take it you've been to the balti triangle and tasted theirs as tbh most purists only count triangle balties as the real McCoy and yes there is a difference. I however have to say that from what I've tasted (and I've tried both) I prefer what BIRs call a balti. If that's the case I suggest two things. Buy The Authentic Balti Curry cookbook (written by the guy from Kushi in Moseley) and a sack of Dutch onions and you'll have cracked it. That book is the reason I don't come on here very often any more. I'm no longer searching for that "holy grail". If your looking to replicate Adils curries etc however, they're a totally different animal altogether.

All the best

MM

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 01:12 AM »
I'm no longer searching for that "holy grail".

Is that because you consider you've found it or because you've given up?

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 02:12 AM »
Because I've found it George. (The missing 5% as some people describe it) But I am aware that taste is a subjective thing. What might be the holy grail to me might not be to you etc...

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 10:33 AM »
Isn't there a thread somewhere where Balti Bob and JerryM have almost cracked the Birmingham balti? I'm sure there is because I was waiting for the final iteration before having a go at it.

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 10:45 AM »
Keep up at the back SS. See the link in Curryhells post above.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 11:26 AM »
Keep up at the back SS. See the link in Curryhells post above.

That'll teach me for quickly scanning the posts and not reading them properly!  ::)

Offline Korma Chameleon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 10:33 PM »
At the real risk of starting a protracted naan pan discussion, just wanted to say thanks for the comments. I'm open to try anything at the moment, as even my worst attempt returns an enjoyable curry. I'll be closely investigating your suggestions.

Yes I've had 3 real Brum Balti's in my life, and each had the same distinct flavour that I have not found in any other curry. I'm not saying it's a better flavour than the standard BIR, just that it was certainly nice, and well worth trying to replicate. If I had to describe it with one word, I'd say "fresh". I wondered even if the Balti dish had anything to do with it, as I have noticed some flavour cross-over with some of my own Khari's. My enjoyable journey continues.

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 01:32 PM »
I read here on this forum that Balti was invented in the Birmingham triangle
So what did the people of Baltistan eat? there must be a culinary connection somewhere

©2024 Curry Recipes