Author Topic: Lamb Basanti  (Read 20394 times)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Lamb Basanti
« on: October 25, 2014, 10:21 PM »
An attempt to reproduce one of my favourite TA dishes at the moment. Not perfect but getting close :)

Will post recipe if anyone is interested and I can decipher my scribbled notes  ;)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb Basanti
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 10:53 PM »
I'd eat it , needs a sprinkle of CA mind, keep up your experiments garp , I'll look forward to your final recipe

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 11:04 PM »
There is fresh CA in there, bud, cooked out. If you choose to ruin it with fresh on top then so be it  :)

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 02:24 AM »
I must be living a sheltered life, every curry I see on here tonight is new to me. What's a basanti when it's at home? I mean what are the defining characteristics?  And is this a new creation or a house special from somewhere, or have I simply had my head in my arse and missed it on every menu I've looked at the past 30 yrs?

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 06:47 AM »
I believe it is a Scottish dish Don

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 04:21 PM »
Donald, I believe that Andy is correct in saying that it seems to be a dish favoured by Punjabi BIR's/TA's in Scotland.

Here are a few descriptions:

The New Serena, Dunfermline : Selected pieces of meat, poultry or king prawns treated tandoori style, cooked in a special curry sauce, cooked with onions, tomatoes, green peppers, touch of achari masala and almond flakes.

The Alishan Restaurant, Glasgow : Selected pieces of meat, poultry or king prawn treated Tandoori style. Cooked in special curry sauce with onions, tomatoes and green peppers, touch of achaari masala and almond flakes.

Do I detect a trend?

Tikka-Way, Kilmarnock : cooked in a special curry sauce with onions, mushrooms, peppers, a touch of mixed pickle and topped with almond flakes.

Mmmm! - don't like mushrooms in curry.

Gurkha's, Crieff :Selected pieces of meat treated tandoori style cooked in a special curry sauce, topped with onions, tomatoes, green peppers and a touch of Achari Massala.

And my own local TA,

India Palms, Dumfries : Cooked in special curry sauce, topped with onion, tomatoes, green peppers and touch of achari masala & almond flakes.

Now I have to say I have never found any evidence of the topping, particularly no almond flakes or green pepper, as per the attached pic from the Palms:

Anyway, have to go make Cottage Pie, so will post recipe later. I would really appreciate anyone trying it out and giving comments, positive or negative :)

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 05:59 PM »
Hi Garp am I correct in thinking that this dish is made using onions, green peppers, tomatoes, almond flakes and achari masala?  :)

littlechilie

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 06:11 PM »
The photos are looking very decent Garp, would like to try them both.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 06:38 PM »
Hi Garp am I correct in thinking that this dish is made using onions, green peppers, tomatoes, almond flakes and achari masala?  :)

Well spotted Sherlock Andy. Although I have never come across green peppers or almond flakes in the dish.

The photos are looking very decent Garp, would like to try them both.

Thanks LC - I'm about to attempt to post recipe :)

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 07:10 PM »
What heat level is the curry Garp?

©2024 Curry Recipes