Author Topic: Lamb Basanti  (Read 20527 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb Basanti
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 10:32 PM »
Garp, can I ask why you use the Asafoetida / Hing?  If in fact you did include it.

My understanding of this ingredient is that it is used either to reproduce onion/garlic flavours in dishes eaten by certain groups of people who can't eat root vegetables for cultural / religious reasons, or as an addition to vegetarian dishes, particularly pulses and legumes, to control methane production in the gut. OOOPs :-\, bloody dog.

As the recipe already contains garlic and onion and base sauce, which I assume has onions, is there any reason for it's inclusion?  Not having a go at you, just curious that's all.

By the way it looks great and I especially like the consistency of Unclefrank's effort.  That is exactly how I like my curries to be made.  I've got a heap of boned out lamb in the freezer so I'll go get some out and have this for tonight's dinner I think.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 10:43 PM by livo »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 07:32 AM »
Garp, can I ask why you use the Asafoetida / Hing?  If in fact you did include it.

Hi Livo - I had been trying a few variations of this sauce and I think hing has it's own unique flavour, which I like; especially when fried briefly. I felt that it's addition brought the flavour a bit closer to the dish I was trying to replicate.

:)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 09:03 AM »
It's a keeper. Yummy. Wifey on the puter tonight so I'll put up pics and appraisal tomorrow but it's a yes from me.

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 09:28 AM »
When using asafoetida source the rock hard amber resin neat stuff and grate 1/2 tsp into warm oil for a Bir aroma and unque taste ;D
The yellow powder is 95%fillers

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 09:48 AM »
The yellow powder is 95%fillers

Agreed.  But even with 95% fillers I would not use 1/2 teaspoonful in a single portion, so when you write :

When using asafoetida source the rock hard amber resin neat stuff and grate 1/2 tsp into warm oil for a Bir aroma and unque taste ;D

that equates in my mind to 10 teaspoonsful of the adulterated powder.  Are you /sure/ you meant 1/2 teaspoonful ?

** Phil.

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 10:56 AM »
Yes Phil
1/2 tsp of powdered is fugitive
1/2 tsp resin is a different result and not overpowering at all
from my using experiences

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 12:12 PM »
Yes Phil
1/2 tsp of powdered is fugitive

"fugitive" ?  I do not know if your spelling checker intervened, but I cannot think what you might have typed that would have ended up as "fugitive" !

1/2 tsp resin is a different result and not overpowering at all from my using experiences

Well, I shall have to try to lay my hands on some of this miracle ingredient in its pure form, but given the difficulty I used to have sourcing even the adulterated powder ("Do you have any asafoetida, please ?" -- "Pardon ?" -- (repeat) -- "Hing. Do you have any /hing/ ?" -- "Pardon ?" -- "Hing, ting, ingu, inguva, kayam, perunkayam ..." -- "No, sorry.") I am unconvinced of my ability to source any of the real stuff !  Do you use red or milky white, by the way ?

** Phil.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2014, 05:00 PM »
I remember the good old days when hing was hing. Nowadays its like trying to find rocking hose sh**e >:(

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2014, 05:38 PM »
Phil try this link hope it works
https://www.facebook.com/PlanetSpices

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2014, 10:55 PM »
You've peaked my interest now with using hing as a flavour in it's own right. I only have powdered so I'll need to investigate the raw stuff.

Here are some pics of yesterday's efforts and I must say that it turned out pretty nice.  I think I'll do the pre-cook in the PC next time as the lamb didn't have the fall-apart tenderness that I like.  It was still good though, even without hing.

I used the Kushi recipe from here for pre-cooked Lamb and my own variation base gravy made by taking pieces from all over the place.  a very enjoyable dish and Lamb Basanti will be a regular for me.

©2024 Curry Recipes