Author Topic: Pizza sauce  (Read 6115 times)

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Pizza sauce
« on: November 15, 2014, 09:21 PM »
This is an American takeaway style tomato sauce for pizzas - think dominos, etc... Big on flavour, not at all traditional Italian, but totally delicious actually. This quality will cover 7 no, 12" pizzas so freeze into baby food moulds as needed so you have it available for future meals, or scale down.

I started with a recipe from Kenny McGowan's book, married it to a few YouTube video recipes then introduced my own ideas, so I think I get to claim this as my own:

Ingredients
50ml olive oil
2 large clove garlic minced
500ml passata
75g tomato puree
1 lvl tsp dried mixed herbs
0.75 lvl tsp garlic powder
1.5 level tsp Salt
1.5 lvl tsp msg
0.5 lvl tsp black Pepper
2 lvl tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 lvl tsp light soy sauce
1 level tbsp sugar
- heat oil and fry garlic gently for couple of mins then add remaining ingredients in a saucepan and reduce slowly (low heat) 20 mins till semi thick, stirring frequently. Cover pan with splatter guard because it will spit and splatter.

Final yield should be about 450g of sauce.

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Pizza sauce
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 06:59 PM »
Just had a pizza made with  this sauce on top and omg it was so gooood! Next time I might reduce the soy sauce to 1.5 tbsp but other than that I'm happy with it.  I can put up my pizza dough recipe if anyone's interested, but I guess if anyone is already home cooking pizzas they will have their own favorite dough already.

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 09:34 AM »
I made this too
I thought it was a little heavy on the soy sauce too
very tasty though, so thanks

the sauce ends up brown which feels a bit worrying
not traditional in anyway, but well worth making

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 10:13 AM »
The pizza sauce I normally make is just tomato, garlic , basil,salt and pepper and olive oil. Sometimes simple works

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 11:21 AM »
Thanks for the feedback haldi. Italian style traditional pizza is a lot simpler like Andy said, but this is a whole other thing. Fast food style and good for kebabpizza!

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 01:06 PM »
This is an American takeaway style tomato sauce for pizzas - think dominos, etc...

Many thanks for this recipe. I fully intend to try it.

I've always liked pizzas from pizza hut and pizza express but haven't tried dominos or any of the other chains. Which outlet produces the tastiest pizzas, probably as a result of their sauce?

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 02:08 PM »
But the best pizza's don't come from the large chains, they are from the proper Italians

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 06:09 PM »
Thanks for the feedback haldi. Italian style traditional pizza is a lot simpler like Andy said, but this is a whole other thing. Fast food style and good for kebabpizza!

Definitely reads like an American style recipe sverige. Would probably go well on
Pan base with plenty of oil on the pan, to slightly fry it, like Pizza hut do

Regards
ELW

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 06:48 PM »
Hi ELW I didn't know his about Pizza Hut, do you know how long they fry their base for? I've never even thought of that. I do love pizza and have tried blind baking the dough to creat a deep pan style base, it works but the problem is uneven rise which then makes the toppings slide into each other.

Maybe frying the base would make it rise from the bottom, keeping the top more level? Not sure I have a pan big enough for my preferred mega size pizza base though :)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 07:34 PM »
Hi ELW I didn't know his about Pizza Hut, do you know how long they fry their base for? I've never even thought of that. I do love pizza and have tried blind baking the dough to creat a deep pan style base, it works but the problem is uneven rise which then makes the toppings slide into each other.

Maybe frying the base would make it rise from the bottom, keeping the top more level? Not sure I have a pan big enough for my preferred mega size pizza base though :)
Hi Sverige,
Its just plenty oil in the pan. Whats your method for pan?
I do:
14 inch pan, 100ml of vegetable oil in the pan.
 Roll your dough out over the pan. Little bit of oil round the crust
Let the dough rise up to the edge of the pan
Cover & stick in the fridge 4hrs - 24 which stops the rise

Let it come up to room temperature
Add topping - not too many extras

preheat oven & unglazed quarry tiles or pizza stone for 30 min bare minimum(1hr if poss)

Bake at 450 - 475 for about 13 - 15 mins, in the pan ...on top of the stone

Let the oven temp get back up before doing another one

Makes greasy slightly fried pizza hut pan pizza's....smashin

There's a good few ph methods/recipes on the web
Not done pizza for a while

Regards

ELW

Edit - re the toppings sliding...a few indentations in the dough (finger docking)prior to baking should sort that , maybe lift the dough slightly before baking
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:56 PM by ELW »

©2024 Curry Recipes