Author Topic: Bhuna chicken vs Achari lamb  (Read 7881 times)

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Bhuna chicken vs Achari lamb
« on: November 19, 2014, 11:11 AM »
Been off for a while, working a lot of late hours.  Made a few pots of trad curry/pre-cooks to keep me going.  Bought some dried chillies to make flake, and a Katlama from my local Pakistani kebab house (there was a thread on these recently but I can't find it). Hopefully will get onto some more BIR soon, and just must crack on with the elusive chicken feet balti.  Making some Salmon shami kebabs tonight; can't wait!  Anyway,  pics.  As always, excuse the mess.

Bhuna chicken (2 kg niblets)

Achari lamb (mutton mix)

Chillies

Katlama

Pre-cooked fried garlic

Pre-cooked chicken mince

Rob  :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Bhuna chicken vs Achari lamb
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 12:39 PM »
Now you, Sir, don't stint with your oil -- I approve !
** Phil.

Offline andydunn

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 03:28 PM »
That Katlama looks lush Bob.  Where did you buy it from?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 03:37 PM »
The Katlama is definitely post-pub grease therapy even though it does look very tasty. I hate to think how many calories it contains! What's the minced chicken for?

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 04:32 PM »
Nice Rob, you should bottle that oil for re-sale  :)

Nice chillies  ;)

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 09:50 AM »
Katlama from Neelams Kebab House, Bearwood.  Two quid.  Sliced up you can make four nice little starters. Ground lamb with onion and unusual spicing that I can never quite place.  Ajwain and oregano perhaps.  Best in Birmingham apparently is Mushtaq's in Sparkhill.  The Bangladeshi lads at my local TAs also love these.

Very pleased with the curry efforts and agree just the right amount of bhuna juice. Experimented last night with a lower calorie version.  Pics to follow.  The pre-cooked chicken mince will be used to make a curry.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 09:57 AM »
Experimented last night with a lower calorie version.

Oh no.  The beginning of the end.  I despair !
** Phil.

Offline andydunn

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 12:20 PM »
Katlama from Neelams Kebab House, Bearwood.  Two quid.  Sliced up you can make four nice little starters. Ground lamb with onion and unusual spicing that I can never quite place.  Ajwain and oregano perhaps.  Best in Birmingham apparently is Mushtaq's in Sparkhill.  The Bangladeshi lads at my local TAs also love these.     

Hi Rob,

Lived in Brum all my life and never eaten in Bearwood and some people rave about the Asian food there.  I live on the opposite side of the city so it's quite a hike for me, but that Katlama does look worth the trip.

I'd have to strongly disagree about Mushtaq's though!lol

I was there last week, bought Katlama's, Sheekh, and pakora, bleugh!

Katlama and Sheekh were mainly onions and some awful crunchy seeds that provided the strangest texture, the meat content was very low.  Katlama was thin and crispy too, I like mine thicker and doughy but each to their own.  Let's just say I won't be rushing back to restock.

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 12:48 PM »
Interesting about Mushtaq's Andy.  I went there once on the recommendation of my local to sample their sheekh kebabs.  They do both lamb and chicken.  I had the lamb ones and they were pretty janky.  Too much chicken and binder in them, and under-spiced. Not tried their Katlama but I'll take your word for it.  There's another place on the Coventry Road but I can't remember the name; it'll come to me.

©2024 Curry Recipes