Author Topic: shawarma recipe to do yourself at home  (Read 24980 times)

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
shawarma recipe to do yourself at home
« on: November 20, 2014, 12:44 PM »
Chicken version -Marinate boneless chick thighs in a creamy yogurt mixed with a dash of cinnamon, black lime powder, olive oil and salt to taste. Grill till crispy brown. Wrap in warmed pitta bread with fresh tomatoes, onion and a swish of garlic mayo

Lamb version ( my preference)....marinated and cooked the same....Wrap in warmed pitta bread with fresh tomatoes, onion , mint, garlic except a swish of Tahine sauce....Yeeeeaaahhh. The tahine sauce makes all the difference with the lamb version.

To make the Tahine sauce :-

Tahini sauce for shawarmas

Try this method, 150 ml tahini paste. 150ml water. 80ml lemon juice. 2 crushed garlic cloves. 1/2 tsp. salt. 30gm flat leaf parsley, finely chopped. Whisk tahini, water,lemon juice,garlic & salt until creamy & smooth. If it's too thick add more water. Stir in the parsley. Whisk again.

black lime powder = dried limes which are then grated to a powder

All the best

Ghoulie

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: shawarma recipe to do yourself at home
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 09:53 PM »
Cheers Ghoulie

Had one in Rusholme for the first time a few months ago and always thought id like to have a go at making them

Cheers

Ed

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 10:31 PM »
Ghoulie,

Xmas is clearly early this year.

You must be quite a foodie.

Been wanting to explore tahine for a while. Will need to find some black lime powder.

Never eaten  shawarma although the rusholme post had put it down as a firm to do.

Defo going try this out. Much appreciated making the effort. 

Best wishes

Offline rshome123

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 10:46 PM »
Will be trying this recipe tomorrow, thanks again Ghoulie.

Jerry... bought some black lime powder today... will give you some next time I see you (i.e. very soon ;))

Offline madpower

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 09:14 AM »
I made something similar last week,only i replaced pitta bread with happys naan bread recipe,i rolled the dough out paper thin then i cooked one side in a hot pan then moved it to a very hot oven for a couple of minuets,i think they make a real good wrap for anything really.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 09:51 AM »
If you can't find the black lime (i.e dried whole limes) - use the juice of a lime instead - still quite tasty.

if you are wanting to try a shawarma in Rusholme that is near to the real middle east taste as you can get - go to Jaffa.  i have tried the rest and they are not as good as those found in Dubai.  At the Atlas shawarma the guy was a little taken aback when i spoke arabic to him and asked where I had heard of shawarmas ( I was the only white face in the queue).  When I said Dubai - he responded 'these are better than Dubais'.  My response to him was - 'if you see me back here ordering, you know they are'.

Suffice to say, I haven't been back to Atlas.

Jaffa are the best in Rusholme.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 08:36 PM »
Thanks for posting Goulie.  At least it will be appreciated here  ;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 08:45 PM »
Rshome123,

Well pleased on your find I guess in pak world Warrington. Love the new owners.

I am there Saturday to get dry Kashmiri if possible. Fingers crossed.

See you very very soon. Best wishes.

Might need to think over members trip to rusholme for anyone interested.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 10:44 PM »
Cheers curryhell - say no more  ;) - no exactly what you mean - won't make that mistake again.
Must be totally blinkered there not to see just how out of kilter they are - not all of 'em mind you - but the @rseholes stand out by a mile

Offline rshome123

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 10:58 PM »
Hi Ghoulie, will be trying your Shawarma recipe tomorrow (chicken).  Looking forward to it. I got sidetracked today by a Jamaican so didn't get round to trying it (but that's another story).

Jerry... Yes I got the Lime powder from Pakworld yesterday, but on inspection of the packet discovered it had a Best Before date in 2013.  Took it back for refund today, but not before taking a small sample out to test (smells fine), and there's enough for you also.

Dry Kashmiri chillies... they sell them and lots of them if my vision serves me right. If not, try Continental Bazaar or FAZ opposite.  Worst case scenario... I have a fresh bag which I can share.

Trip to Rusholme sounds good... count me in.

©2024 Curry Recipes