Author Topic: Chillies - is there definitive use guide  (Read 6864 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chillies - is there definitive use guide
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 05:17 PM »
have got bogged down on these whole red chilli.

there is a video on youtube explaining the rehydration. simple stuff really needs no instruction. however it states there can be bitterness. lost the link and would appreciate if chrisnw could re point to it. you dont think much of the idea of bitterness during the video but it hits you full on when you make.

nearest youtube ive found (red chilli sauce)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Lgl-IsaN8

4 off whole chilli rehydrated in 100 ml then blended and used in 1 off portion madras. also tried removing the water whilst hot and blending in watered puree (seems a tad better but no breakthrough)

ps forgot to add - these whole long chilli "kashmiri" are very different to the crushed red chilli. they are less hot and have more flavour. feel you need to keep both.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 06:31 PM »
Does this help, Jerry ?

In Mexican and south-western cuisines, fried chillies are usually roasted and rehydrated before they are used. Unless your recipe outlines a different procedure, you can follow these general instructions: Stem and seed the chillies , then place them in a skillet, on a comal (a smooth, flat griddle typically used in Mexico and Central America), or in a 250 degree oven and dry-roast them for three to four minutes. Shake them once or twice and be careful not to scorch them or else they will taste bitter. The chillies should then be added to water that has been heated to just below the boiling point - if it is boiling, the chillies will lose flavour. Use just enough water to cover the chillies and press them down with a lid. Allow them to sit for 20 minutes or until they are soft. At this point, you should taste the water to see if it is bitter, discarding if it is. The chillies can then be used as directed in the recipe.

** Phil.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 10:13 PM »
Phil,

Many thanks sir

Very useful the info to avoid scorching as I've also started looking at frying in oil per curryhell black chilli suggestion.

Like the idea of off boil too.

Interesting that the seeds (and stem) are removed. I had started to think this was where the bitterness lies.

I have a few cartons of the whole chillies in water un blended and so far no bitterness detected. 

It was in the blended form that I initially picked up the bitterness.

Ps for info sugar does sort the problem but would like find the cause.

Best wishes

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 11:46 AM »
removing the stem and seeds has sorted this for me (many thanks phil and chrisnw for the original prompt). its the flavour that's important and removal of the seeds only affects the heat a little which is not a big deal c/w bitterness otherwise..

tried the scorching a little but dont really have a need for it. eating out at traditional place dish came with a whole scorched chilli on top which confirmed the flavour produced. for info the "scorching" is wrong terminology - the chillies need very little heat to change to the darker "purple" colour.

i'm using the hydrated blended dried red chilli in madras but see it in any "plainish" curry dish. eg have adopted it in south indian garlic feeling it work's well.

©2024 Curry Recipes