Author Topic: Lamb Chuuk Dgirra  (Read 2014 times)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Lamb Chuuk Dgirra
« on: December 15, 2014, 06:45 PM »
Having defrosted a couple of portions of pre-cooked lamb yesterday, and not used them as everyone wanted chicken, I had to throw together a wee dish tonight. Having no base left, it was a bit of a 'throw it in and see what happens' kinda thing.

As it happens, it turned out perfectly edible (thanks, probably to what I've learned on here). The lamb was perfect (leg chunks), but so it should be at about

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb Chuuk Dgirra
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 08:40 PM »
Anyway....Lamb Chuuk Dgirra....
What does "chuuk dgirra" mean, and in what natural language does the phrase occur after back-transliteration ?
** Phil.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 08:58 PM »
It's an ancient traditional Indian dish, Phil, which I dug out from one of my first ever Indian cookbooks.

I have no idea what it means, but thanks for your praise for my ability to cook something from scraps :P

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 09:49 PM »
Looks nice Garp, just missing some crinkle cut homemade chips.  ;)

As for the pre-cook,I would definitely try some mutton. I usually do Chewy's pressure cook method but as i know you don't have one, you could just simmer it for 45mins - 1hr until tender. I usually buy a whole shoulder cut up on the bone and take the meat of the bone once cooked. Once its in a curry sauce its lovely (IMO of course).

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 06:28 PM »
The h4ppy naan looks about ready to pounce on that fine plate of curry Garp. If it tastes half as good as it looks, i'm sure it slipped down a treat  :P.  I'm a mutton man myself when i'm feeling extravagent.  Not a lot cheaper than lamb and takes longer to cook. But the flavour takes a curry to the next level, albeit at a price  :-\

©2024 Curry Recipes