Author Topic: My Dhansak  (Read 54256 times)

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: My Dhansak
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 08:29 AM »
That looks absolutely delicious.  Certainly my kind of texture.   I possibly feel a dhansak coming on sometime soon :P

Thanks CH, it is currently my favorite along with your NIS that I tried recently. I don't believe this, its 8.25 in the morning and I now fancy a curry.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 10:10 AM »
...I don't believe this, its 8.25 in the morning and I now fancy a curry.

Any time is curry time! I could do with a plate of your Dhansak right now! :)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 02:49 PM »
Super looking dish SR.

I've never made a Dhansak, but will be trying this one for sure.

Great stuff  :)

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 05:28 PM »
Thanks Garp. I hope you enjoy the recipe. Going off topic, I managed to try your Pakora recipe with precooked chicken (as opposed to Haggis) Made an excellent starter, so thanks for that. I'm going to try it with Tikka next time.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 05:43 PM »
Cheers bud, glad you enjoyed it :)

Offline vinotinto

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 08:03 PM »
A curry competition has just been started again in our area so I thought I would make this.  Ive never had a Dhansak before and didn't practice but I have to say it came out fantastically.  Unfortunately I came 2nd out of 9 (to a Thai Yellow Curry) but I was pretty pleased with it.  I didn't make it completely to spec, i.e. not Jaggery (just put in a little extra sugar) and as I had to make a portion size for about 10 people I did two batches double the size of your ingredients.  I used JB's base (half portion) and Abduls 8 spice (with the addition of some cloves / cardamon....I can't help tinkering!), and the main reason I went down the Dahnsak route is due to really enjoying a Rick Stein recipe for a dahl, you can see that preparation on the right hand side.  Great recipe SoberRat, will be making it again.  Photo of curry cooking in pan attached.

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 04:45 PM »
Thanks vinotinto, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I have some Abduls 8 spice mixed so I will give it a go with that to see what difference it makes. It does double quite well this recipe as you say. Congratulations on your second place. 

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 06:33 PM »
Finally got round to making your Dhansak today, SR. Pictures didn't turn out too well (steam on the lens I think).

But what an interesting dish! I've never had one locally so didn't know quite what to expect, flavour wise, but this was bursting with all sorts of different things. The sweetness of the pineapple juice and sugar with the tartness of the lime is something I hadn't been expecting. A nice chilli kick and a lovely consistency makes this a cracking curry for me, and one I will certainly be making again.

Thanks for posting bud :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 08:38 PM by Garp »

littlechilie

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 08:33 PM »
Great post and thanks for sharing your info.

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 01:49 PM »
Thanks for the review Garp, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I hope your lentil cooking went well.

©2024 Curry Recipes