Author Topic: Growing coriander  (Read 4502 times)

Offline Geoffbrick

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Growing coriander
« on: February 23, 2015, 09:21 PM »
I have read that subject has been discussed before,I have the problem that once harvested the resultant stalks wilt,particularly on windowsills but also in boxes outside!Considering its supposed to be a weed,whats happening,could I use tomorite or some such feed.Have sandy soil here,but have used just compost. Any suggestions.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Growing coriander
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 10:14 PM »
Just keep sowing seed on a regular basis for a constant supply of coriander. Its not cut-and-come-again. Also, don't leave the stalks - use them in your curries for flavour, or freeze them for later inclusion in your base gravies.

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 02:10 AM »
I wouldn't use tomorite for herbs. That is more designed for fruiting plants or tomatoes (obviously!) and peppers, chillies etc rather than plants grown for their foliage. In my experience of growing herbs it all depends on the extent you want to go to to be quite honest. Sow the seeds in some nice good quality  damp potting compost in a heated propagator if it's still too cold outside then for best results transfer them into a greenhouse. Coriander does well in a greenhouse but not so well outside I find. People talk about growing herbs on a windowsill but I don't think it works. I think the atmosphere in a house, temperature and light conditions are all wrong. Make sure you buy a variety that is bred for its leaves rather than seeds. Whatever you do I would prob leave it a month or two until it warms up.

Good Luck!

Offline Geoffbrick

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 08:22 PM »
Thanks to both Naga and Mushroom Mike for your informative and practical advice,which will take on board.

Interesting aside,sometimes relatives come round and expect "British" meals,Im shouted" get me some parsley from the freezer".I duly did and the sauce went down very with the boiled bacon,some funny looks,but nothing said.
Cheers Geoff.

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 09:38 PM »
As already said, grow frequently from seed.
Once coriander starts to bolt, IMO, it loses its flavour a little. You need to have regular young plants to use.

I would never use plant food supplements in anything I was going to eat (or smoke) immediately , especially a food that is high in potassium or manganese.

Plant feeds should only really be used on fruiting plants at the height of their fruit production, and for a short time, and should also be flushed with plain water for 3-4 weeks before harvesting to rid the plant of any excess chemicals. (organic is always best ;) )

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 09:46 PM »
Cut at base and it re-grows, santos coriander doesn't 'bolt' as quickly, i'll find video

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 09:48 PM »

Offline Geoffbrick

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 09:58 PM »
Cheers to Madrasandy for link,deffo going for Santos.

Geoff

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 06:45 PM »
Hi Mr. Geoffbrick.   I'm not sure how this will sound but I'll tell it straight:  I've grown Coriander (outside) during our summer months for many years (because it doesn't grow well inside).  The first few years I thought it needed nurturing like the Dutch variety I think they call "green".  It failed to give satisfactory results time and time again so I thought I'd treat it like a weed as they do in Asia and treat it rough and grow it outside and the results were amazing.  I did the following:
1.  Go to Tescos or the like and buy their Coriander. As big and as much as you can and afford and take home.
2.  Stick them in a large pot or planter with reasonable depth, add decent compost with a nitrogen based fertiliser and water it in.  PS.  Most "spring" composts contain plenty of nitrogen.
3.  Place in the sunniest position you can (mine only gets full sun for 4 hours a day).
4.  Don't spoil it with too much water (it's a weed). And don't feed it.  After 6 to 8 weeks you'll have a massive bush of lush Coriander.
5.  After you've cut all your Coriander over these weeks,  feed with a high nitrogen feed (which you bought earlier in the season) and wait 4 weeks for another round of produce, only this time a lot weaker/less

This method works every time and saves a lot of Argo, brain ache and money etc.   

PS.   I found It's a lot cheaper to buy straight from the supermarket but I can't help growing some Coriander. So it's there to grow !     Good luck and hope this helps.

Mr. Punter

Offline Geoffbrick

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 09:40 PM »
Hi Stewartnewport,

Your post was both fascinating and interesting,will definitely use Santos(Thanks Madrasandy),and build on that,will treat them as weeds,and keep them going,per Geezah and all,roll on the better weather.
    Geoff

©2024 Curry Recipes