Author Topic: Take Away Vindaloo  (Read 3878 times)

littlechilie

Take Away Vindaloo
« on: March 02, 2015, 04:57 PM »
 }

}

Hey all.

Inspired by Chewy's Madras Comparison.

We got around to ordering a TA last evening from long running well respected place, the vindaloo there has always been good but having not ordered for almost forever I wanted to compare my findings.

First impressions were the plastic tub, I like foil but anyhow! The curry was good but I was surprised at the consistency. Compared to mine I prefer my strained gravy.
Well here is a list of my opinion.

Sauce, I prefer strained base myself.

Aroma, deep and I could detect Tamarina and Naga paste.

Taste, very little garlic, no ginger coming through light on spice and heavy on Naga.

Oil, ladles of it! Lol I should imagine there was 2xladles of oil in the Vindaloo.

Consistency, thick but light with lots of tomato and chilli seeds visible to see, 50% pur

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Take Away Vindaloo
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 05:24 PM »

My conclusion is that myself and most regular members on the CR0 are cooking better curry's than most established restaurants.
[/quote]

I agree LC the last curry I had from a TA was not up to the curries I now make thanks to this Forum and as you said there's far too much oil in your TA curry.

London.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 05:46 PM »
Alex Salmond would love to get his hands on that oil mate....but some members seem to like it that way.

Not me. My problem with that amount of oil is that the other ingredients, that you want to taste, coagulate into an unappealing mess, as can be seen from your pics.

I take it you won't be going back.

littlechilie

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 06:35 PM »
Thanks for the shared input guys, yep Garp I will be making my own curry at home ;) The wife had chicken bhuna and I didn't think it tasted as it should at all.

But I would advise anyone doubting there cooking to do the chewy comparison test drive.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 08:16 PM »
Littlechilli,

What size of opening in the strainer or what do you use. The local restaurant strains it and I do like the look and I suppose the texture in madras / vindaloo. Have tried approx 4 mm dia collander but still too much like hard work.

Curry looks spot on except the oil. The local restaurant never has oil when sitting in but always on the TA back at home. Makes me think it surfaces during the journey. It's quite an interesting subject.

I increased the oil in the base a while ago (I think 100 ml per 800g onion to 150ml) and it has made it far easier to cook with (no black debris). I can't see the TA being sloppy cooking and why add a relative expensive if you don't need to.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 08:46 PM »
Curry looks spot on except the oil. The local restaurant never has oil when sitting in but always on the TA back at home. Makes me think it surfaces during the journey. It's quite an interesting subject.

Very interesting, Jerry....never really considered why that happens. Perhaps you could research it and get back with your findings :)

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 09:02 PM »
Littlechilli,

What size of opening in the strainer or what do you use. The local restaurant strains it and I do like the look and I suppose the texture in madras / vindaloo. Have tried approx 4 mm dia collander but still too much like hard work.

Jerry,

Most use a sieve to strain their base, as per Chewys' videos which produces a really smooth finish.

London.

littlechilie

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 09:06 AM »

[/quote]

Jerry,

Most use a sieve to strain their base, as per Chewy's Advice, Yep spot on Chewy recommends using a food mill I believe.
I use a strainer like below.

}

I have always been told by indian Chefs that you must use enough oil to cook the spice, or else it will burn not cook !

Interesting point about the TA oil content, compared to in house? I'm guessing the use of a sealed lid and time to relax forces the oil to separate and rise!

Better to use more oil then remove it,I believe as it's a big part of the BIR Aroma comes from the spicy tomato induced oil.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 07:58 PM »
London littlechilli,

Many thanks for info on sieve - not paid much attention to it in past.

Tried our existing sieve but too much like hard work. Manager at restaurant said use potato masher and on look out for decent - have tried 2 types so far and both rubbish.

Will look out for sieve in the pic. Agree on the oil - one thing that always sticks out from my efforts a good while ago on reclaiming oil was how hard it was to get it to surface after blending. It could well even be just the wobbling of the car journey. Splitting the oil at spice frying i tend to avoid but this does make the oil surface more likely.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 08:22 PM »
Agreed littlechilie regarding the tomato / oil aroma. Easily tested at home also

ELW

©2024 Curry Recipes