Author Topic: Mixed powder....  (Read 36416 times)

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Mixed powder....
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2015, 09:28 PM »
 I have started using Rajah and TRS curry powder in the mix powder that I knock up, as they both bring something that is subtly different.

littlechilie

« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2015, 10:00 PM »
I'm using 3 turmeric, 3 mild madras, 1 coriander , 1 cumin , 1 paprika.  this is spot on for my BIR taste, great in fried rice all round works for me.
LC

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2015, 10:28 PM »
"MIX powder" is a Bangladeshi kitchen term for exactly what it is.
the Chefs mix of spices, used in his kitchen/cooking.

You been on the sherry again chewy?  ::)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2015, 10:47 PM »
I'm using 3 turmeric, 3 mild madras, 1 coriander , 1 cumin , 1 paprika.  this is spot on for my BIR taste, great in fried rice all round works for me.
LC

Ah, yes! BUT, what is the composition (or possibly brand) of the Mild Madras you are using?  You are adding a mix powder to a mix powder.  Any variation in the composition of the Mild Madras (curry powder) will change the overall composition of your finished mix powder.

This variation is probably / possibly insignificant, however a quick search for "Mild Madras" powder will certainly present a very large number of different ratio combinations all claiming to be Mild Madras.

Tarladalal has this to say "Madras Curry powder is misnomer. It is actually a pulverized blend of up to 20 spices, herbs and seeds. Among those most commonly used are cardamom, chiles, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, cumin, fennel seed, fenugreek, mace, nutmeg, red and black pepper, poppy and sesame seeds, saffron, tamarind and turmeric (the latter is what gives curried dishes their characteristic yellow color). "

littlechilie

« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2015, 10:50 PM »
Fair point Livo, correction here,  ;) I'm using (TRS) Mild Madras powder.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2015, 11:02 PM »
Thanks for that clarification LC.
I'm a very messy obsessive compulsive, so I love being untidy about exact details. :o

One of the earliest posts I made on this site was in relation to the use of mix powders in mix powder recipes and the exact inaccuracy of doing so. I saw red, well probably yellow but anyway, I obsessed with trying to break these mixes down do individual spices in their respective scientifically measured ratios and quantities and quickly learned from investigation that I was trying to emulate the Hoo-hoo bird.

I thought that if I could nail "THE MIX POWDER" to the exact microgram, my curries would be divine. Errr, wrong.  Some of my reading led me to think that these "secret chef's mix powders" were the missing link.  Errr, wrong again.

littlechilie

« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2015, 11:10 PM »
It took me a long time to work out its not the mix powder, but it's what you do with it that matters! This is the key for unlocking it's flavor.

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2015, 11:23 PM »
I think that is true. The mix powder is just one link in the chain. I tried a mix powder from the cook4one site which had a curry powder mix to go in the mix powder and I didn't find it made that much difference to my curries at the time. What has really changed the taste of my curries is the cooking techniques that I now use that I have learned from this site. I think that it's about technique, base and mix powder in that order. Obviously then it follows that a good recipe will help to get in the right area of taste that everyone is looking for.

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2015, 07:58 AM »
Just to freak you all out, I cooked yesterday with "Schwartz Mild Curry Powder".... It was bangin... !

The first BIR curry I cooked I used Schwartz curry powder and was please with the results, maybe I should get some Schwartz and give it another go.

London.

I reckon it's worth returning for another go, even if it's only to see how far away we've STRAYED and maybe even GOT LOST a little!   -  one other powder I know and used for years, plus I know two north Indian families use is Bolst Curry powder.  Again like the Schwartz Im finding the "mild" powder is best.

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2015, 08:30 AM »
I'm finding that using a good quality curry powder that's 'mild' is giving me the freedom throughout the cook to put my own stamp on the finished product because it allows me the option to add Garam Masala or just a 'couple of spices' at the end to achieve my own personal taste without it being too 'heavy'.  I've also discovered using a 'light, mild' mix powder also allows a little more of the flavour of the 'Masala sauce' to come thru without being too 'heavy'.  There are also other flavours coming thru like 'cooked' green chilli and of course fresh Coriander etc... I think my point is that I'm starting to get very nice, clean flavours coming thru that are producing the WOW FACTOR with a slowish powerful chilli hit which I'm never quite sure will stop growing in strength until I can't wait any longer so I just have to stick another mouthful in...  Yum....

At this stage I believe a 'mild power' without any strong traits being obvious is a major contributory factor to achieving a great curry giving the WOW FACTOR!

Thanks for all your input.  My curries are improving!

Cheers

©2024 Curry Recipes