Author Topic: Tikka Vindaloo  (Read 4283 times)

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Tikka Vindaloo
« on: May 03, 2015, 07:36 PM »
Didn't have any ingredients to cook curry tonight, so I raided the very full freezer for this Vindaloo. I made the rice fresh, I have never tried to colour it before so it didn't go that well.

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Tikka Vindaloo
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 12:17 AM »
Didn't have any ingredients to cook curry tonight, so I raided the very full freezer for this Vindaloo. I made the rice fresh, I have never tried to colour it before so it didn't go that well.
The way I colour rice is to take around 1xtbs of plain cooked rice and colour them separately! You simply add a minute amount of the dye like red, yellow,or green to around 2xtbs of water and add the rice and leave to soak  for a few minutes,now drain the water away and your left with the coloured rice! Leave this to fully dry out for around 2 hours! You can now add this back to your plain rice
That's it job done.

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 07:34 PM »
The way I colour rice is to take around 1xtbs of plain cooked rice and colour them separately! You simply add a minute amount of the dye like red, yellow,or green to around 2xtbs of water and add the rice and leave to soak  for a few minutes,now drain the water away and your left with the coloured rice! Leave this to fully dry out for around 2 hours! You can now add this back to your plain rice
That's it job done. Ps your curry looks good sober

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 08:36 PM »
That looks like a vindy with attitude  :o  ;D ;D Your rice colouring does need  a little bit of work though ::) Have a look at the many recipes on here and see if one of them will deliver the results you want  :)  Despite the colouring, I doubt whether it detracted from the overall results though  :P

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 08:48 PM »
The vindaloo was very nice, a good lip tingle. Yes, the rice was still fine to taste and I think that when I added the colour I didn't give it enough time to fix, just got impatient (hungry).  :) I will do that and look around here to see how others have got the colour in the rice.

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 08:49 PM »
The vindaloo looks good! just a couple of photos of my coloured rice as described above just colour some separately and ad it to the rest when fully dry
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 09:01 PM by Curry addict bob »

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 08:55 PM »
Thanks Bob, I shall give that way a go. I will also try get some other colours as the last time I went to the local Asian store they only had the red.

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 08:58 PM »
Thanks Bob, I shall give that way a go. I will also try get some other colours as the last time I went to the local Asian store they only had the red.
Your very welcome I've run out of the green myself.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 11:03 PM »
Remember to use dry powders, not liquids, all.

©2024 Curry Recipes