Author Topic: You tube videos with CC and Sub's help  (Read 8758 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: You tube videos with CC and Sub's help
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 09:14 AM »
What did he advise ?
** Phil.

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 09:27 AM »
I got his 4K downloader working Phil.

Some of the captions on Youtube are great  :-\ :o. Its as if I translated them  ;D

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 09:42 AM »
I got his 4K downloader working Phil.
Aha.  Thank you.  Not having a 4K television I have never investigated this option.  Indeed, it is only in the last year that I have upgraded one of our home sets from CRT to solid-state, and I still have a 36" CRT set in the dining room ...

Some of the captions on Youtube are great  :-\ :o. Its as if I translated them  ;D
I thought you did !

** Phil.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 09:17 PM »
I got his 4K downloader working

I'd never heard of this app but after seeing it first mentioned by Les here, I downloaded it and can see how useful it is. The files are MP4. Does that correspond with the native youtube format or is there any degredation?

How did you get Les's 4k downloader working?

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 08:10 AM »
Videos are what ever quality are on Youtube and he was using Smart Mode instead of Paste Link which gives you more options.

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2015, 08:32 AM »
As a foot note George, I would suggest if you want to download video with sub titles, you use the VLC player, downloads are available, media player or divx player don't do it for me, and as Stu said, don't use smart mode.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2015, 09:08 AM »
Videos are what ever quality are on Youtube

The 4k product, with downloads in MP4 format, is of interest because MP4 files are relatively small and I may be able to play the videos on my tablet. But is the quality as good as the MPEG2 recordings I've made until now using a product called Replay Video Capture from Applian Technologies? I guess I can compare two recordings myself, and decide but I just wondered if 4k simply downloads the original file from youtube, and it happens to be in MP4.  Replay Video Capture will include subtitles, of course, because it records everything you see on the screen. Highly recommended.

I see that in smart mode, there are various format options with 4K.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2015, 12:32 PM »
George, as you probably know, YouTube offers media in a variety of resolutions.  For Vong's wife, for example :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAfrY8x6ehA

it offers 360p and 720p (some videos offer more options, and some even fewer).  Using the Seamonkey plug-in "Download Youtube" :

https://github.com/gantt/downloadyoutube

all of the available resolutions Less than or equal to 720p are exposed.  Therefore what you download is what would otherwise be rendered on-screen, and must therefore be at least as good as any screen-capture software can accomplish and usually better.

** Phil.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2015, 03:49 PM »
George, as you probably know, YouTube offers media in a variety of resolutions...it offers 360p and 720p (some videos offer more options, and some even fewer). 

I'm aware of resolutions and I generally watch at 720HD or 1080HD. If I download using the 4k program, I can select the highest resolution which is great, and what I would do.

Then it produces an mp4 file, which is far removed from lossless. I just wonder whether we are watching mp4 files on youtube or whether 4k converts whatever format is used by youtube, into mp4.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2015, 06:59 PM »
Then it produces an mp4 file, which is far removed from lossless. I just wonder whether we are watching mp4 files on youtube or whether 4k converts whatever format is used by youtube, into mp4.

For HD, if your browser is detected as HTML 5-compatible, the video will be H.264 encoded.  H.264 is also known as MPEG-4 Part 10, Advanced Video Coding.  Thus the raw data are already in MP4 format unless you do not have a HTML 5-compatible browser, in which case FLV will be served.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes