Poll

After cooking a curry do you leave it to develop or do you believe it's a matter of fresh senses that improve the flavour.

I believe a curry develops in flavour from being left overnight or for a period of time.
8 (66.7%)
I leave a curry for the next day only so my senses are fresh to enjoy it.
4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Do spices developing after a curry is cooked and rested?  (Read 7703 times)

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Do spices developing after a curry is cooked and rested?
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 10:38 PM »
As a rule of thumb in my opinion the curry tastes even better if left in the fridge and eaten the following day

Bob.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 11:53 PM »
Never had a BIR curry that improves on standing. A madras tasted the same when "fresh" as when heated up (or not) the next day.

Home cooked curries, on the other hand, definitely seem to benefit from at least an overnight wait. But so do traditional stews.

So what's the beef? It can only be that the pre-cooking used ubiquitously in BIRs effectively builds in the stewing stage.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 02:22 AM »
You are probably 100% correct there with the distinction between BIR and Traditional SS.

Offline Pugs

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 09:00 AM »
I reckon it does especially traditional style curries maybe not a BIR from the local

Offline Kattis

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 10:54 AM »
Ok so we often hear people talk about leaving a curry to develop in flavour, or for the spices to intensify!

Is there any truth in this theory, or are we just approaching the dish the following day with fresh senses?

The above is my opinion it's just my senses dulled from cooking, but it would be interesting to here members thoughts and opinions.
yeeeee back to a proper forum flipping bircurries what a bunch of control freaks :D :D :D

i think it is as you say a bit of both ... the more you cook the more you taste .. you certainly dull your taste buds :) some say sniffing coffee powder helps ?? no idea :D :D :D

Offline PappaT

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 05:16 PM »
That is a good question. I suspect it may be a bit of both. If I have a very long session of cooking curry I find that my senses are very dulled, but I do think that the dishes change a bit when left over night. I find the same thing happens with other types of dish too and also when I have had a shorter session.

I make scented candles for a living and when I started I found I couldn't smell the fragrance so I would put more and more in. People loved the incredible scent in my candles but Icouldn't enjoy them. It was only when I was talking to an old candlemaker who asked where my fresh coffee beans were? I replied I don't have any so he gave me a jar of them to sniff.
After that I could smell the fragrances and my candles got cheaper to make.

The curry is the is the same. when we use the spices all the time we de-sensitise our nasal passages so sniff the coffee every now and then, it works.

Offline hamidge

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 07:46 AM »
Sniffing coffee works they use it in perfume shops its like a sorbet for ya snout  :D

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 08:41 AM »
Flat leaf parsley is the palate cleanser of choice of professionals onion tasters. It should be chewed between each sample being tasted. Might also work for resetting your taste buds if chewed after cooking a curry and before eating it.

©2024 Curry Recipes