Author Topic: BULK Chicken Korma  (Read 8403 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
BULK Chicken Korma
« on: September 01, 2015, 01:02 PM »
Another favourite at the Uni.

I actually introduced spice mix to this dish which has improved the curry vastly.

Ingredients:
15kg skinless chicken breast (chopped into approximately 1.5 inch cubes)
450 ml veg oil
190g fresh garlic (pureed)
5 tbsp turmeric powder
3 litres base gravy
900g coconut milk powder
375g spice mix
900g white sugar (or to taste)
30g salt (or to taste)
1 litre fresh double
2 litres of skimmed or semi skimmed milk
900g almond meal (or cashew meal)
fresh chopped coriander - optional

Method:
Pre cook the chicken in an oven or brat pan. (If you want to marinade the chicken first, then use Garlic & Ginger Puree, Curry Powder, Spice mix, a little salt, oil and water.
Mix the coconut milk powder with the milk to form a paste.
Heat the curry base to a gentle simmer
Heat the oil then add the garlic and fry until an aroma is given off, then add the turmeric, spice mix, almond powder, salt and sugar and dry fry for 2-3 minutes.
Add a litre base gravy and stir. This may pop and splutter so be careful.
Continue to add the curry base, a little at a time, stirring occasionally as the water evaporates and the sauce thickens.
Add the coconut milk mixture and heat through.
Add the chicken and heat through thoroughly.
When the chicken is done, add the cream and stir in. Continue to heat until the correct temperature, then serve.
Add fresh coriander to taste (if using)

Offline sliver

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: BULK Chicken Korma
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 08:51 AM »
What spice mix did you use please 976bar?
Also, is there a reason for using powdered cocunut rather than cans of coconut milk or cream? I wondered if it was a cost thing or if using the powder allowed you to maintan a thickness in the dish.

I made my second ever base this week (Taz)  and have been improvising  somewhat and this (scaled if I can) sounds quite straightforward and distinguishable as a specific curry, unlike my first couple of generic chicken and lamb efforts. So please excuse my probably very novice questions, I have a lot to read and a lot more to learn.

Ta

Offline sliver

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 09:56 AM »
I see now this is a bulked up version of CA's (I think) I said I had a lot to read. Still, your spice mix would be appreciated, along with your views on removing the sugar (if you have any)  ;)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 10:44 AM »
How about a sweetner? Although they're full of chemicals so not necessarilly healthier than sugar  ::)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 07:52 PM »

Does it really say 'almond meal' on the presumably bulk catering pack of whatever it is you use?

And have you ever used 900g of cashews?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 08:02 PM »
Does it really say 'almond meal' on the presumably bulk catering pack of whatever it is you use?
Seems more than possible, George; the stuff definitely exists in the UK :  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bobs-Red-Mill-Almond-Gluten-Free/dp/B00W9YN3QI

** Phil.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 07:52 PM »

And have you ever used 900g of cashews?

George, Almond meal is simply ground Almonds, and since having posted this recipe I have reduced the quantity to 600g with similar results, albeit the cost of the dish is reduced :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 07:55 PM »
What spice mix did you use please 976bar?
Also, is there a reason for using powdered cocunut rather than cans of coconut milk or cream? I wondered if it was a cost thing or if using the powder allowed you to maintan a thickness in the dish.

I made my second ever base this week (Taz)  and have been improvising  somewhat and this (scaled if I can) sounds quite straightforward and distinguishable as a specific curry, unlike my first couple of generic chicken and lamb efforts. So please excuse my probably very novice questions, I have a lot to read and a lot more to learn.

Ta

Hi Silver,

Spice mix is made up as follows
8 parts coriander powder
7 parts Turmeric
5 Parts Cumin powder
4 parts Madras Curry Powder

Maggi Coconut milk powder gives a totally different taste to tinned coconut milk and yes it is cheaper.

©2024 Curry Recipes