Author Topic: lost photos  (Read 6023 times)

Offline Geoffbrick

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
lost photos
« on: October 04, 2015, 08:09 AM »
Morning all.
  Have been upgraded to Windows10 from Windows 7,have lost all iTunes and photos for uploading.Has anyone any info on Windows10 or the "knowledge",hope I can get some of photos back from the SD card,some strange system this.
 Help appreciated
   Cheers. Geoffbrick

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: lost photos
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 08:43 AM »
Sorry, can't be of any immediate help, Geoff.  Once I discovered that, having been downloaded, Windows 10 would give me the option of installing today, tomorrow or the day after, but at no other time, I took immediate steps to rid my machine of all traces of it and its installer.  I have no knowledge of I-tunes whatsoever, but as regards your lost photographs I would recommend (if Windows 10 in any way resembles Windows 7) launching "Pictures" (or "My Pictures"), initiating a search for "filename:*.jpg" (or "filename:*.cr2", or whatever extension your camera generates for photographs), and when it has completed, using the "Search again in ..." option to select "Computer" to allow it to search your whole file-system.  Once it completes on that, change from "Details" view (if that is your default) to "Large icons" view or "Extra large icons" view, and that should enable you to identify the images for which you are seeking if they are Jpegs or similar.  "(Extra) large icons" view cannot see inside CR2 files (which are not native to Windows), so you would need to open such files individually or (e.g.,) in Adobe Bridge in order to inspect their content.

** Phil.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 10:05 AM »
I don't think this will be particularly helpful to you, Geoff, but I installed Windows 10 over an existing Windows 8.1 installation and the upgrade didn't touch my existing data file system at all. Everything is as it was under the previous OS.

The only thing I noticed, when I installed the new iTunes, is that it changed where it looks for my media files and I had to manually change it back again.

I agree with Phil about doing a global search. Open up File Explorer and highlight 'This PC' in the left-hand pane, then, as Phil suggests, type the wildcard+file extension into the 'Search This PC' box on the right-hand side.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 10:33 AM »
I agree with Phil about doing a global search. Open up File Explorer and highlight 'This PC' in the left-hand pane, then, as Phil suggests, type the wildcard+file extension into the 'Search This PC' box on the right-hand side.

If "Search this PC" works reliably in Windows 10, then I would support this. The only reason I suggested the more roundabout way of doing it (search in "Pictures" first, then widen the search to "Computer") is that I have noticed that telling Windows 7 to search "Computer" as a first step does not always seem to cause anything discernible to happen, whereas searching in a restricted location first and then widening the search path appears 100% reliable in my experience.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 11:05 AM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Geoffbrick

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 09:11 PM »
 :)Phil,Naga,thanks,I was a bricklayer not a rocket scientist,so you'll have to bear with me.
On further investigation some earlier photos(2010,2011)have appeared,but no more..The iTunes situation is stranger,the album's I've paid for are there,but the400 album CD s that I manually uploaded to my Itunes library have disappeared totally.!!
 I use a Tablet for daily use,as now,but keep personal,photos and music on laptop,I'll keep trying,and thanks,guys.
Geoff

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 10:33 AM »
I was a bricklayer not a rocket scientist,so you'll have to bear with me.
More than happy to do that, Geoff, but we'll need some feedback.  Did you succeed in instructing Windows to search Computer / My Computer / This PC for "filename:*.jpg" (or similar), and if so, did it fail to find some of your photographs ?

** Phil.

Offline Geoffbrick

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 04:10 PM »
Phil,Went through search computer,my folders,albums,pictures.large chunks missing,still.Back again to source folders/albums.Feel I'm getting somewhere,but pictures and music I want are hidden in the depths.Will researching,Windows 10 I presume,is going in the right direction!More pressing at the moment,pakora,quick base,dopiaza.

Thanks Geoff

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 07:47 AM »
Hi Geoff
With regards iTunes, it sounds like it cant find your music library. You have obviously signed in with your apple id because it knows which songs you have purchased.

As far as windows 10 goes....
Good Luck!

Think Ill stick to windows 7

Regards
Mick

Offline Geoffbrick

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 09:59 AM »
HI Mick,

Think you're right,stick to Windows 7,very tempted,but I'll keep trying.Still have chunks of photos and music missing.Your comments 're ITunes are interesting,,cos whilst uploading my CD s I used Apple/iTunes for album info and covers,suppose I didn't buy from them so that's it.

Annoying part is photos,having done curries with visiting relatives,took photos and onto laptop.Full SD card deleted for further use.Perhaps further searches may turn them up,hopefully.

It makes you wonder who watches the site,have had emails from site offering to find missing files,for a price!

Cheers Geoff

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 10:29 AM »
Up to now I can't see a problem with 10. Didn't lose a thing when I upgraded. If your'e struggling, there's bound to be one of your friends offspring who will do it for you. All my stuff is in the same place that I left it. Nowadays I back my important stuff up to either OneDrive, dropbox or Google drive all of which offer reasonable storage for free. I also use an external drive to store films on so I can plug it straight into the TV. Without looking to much, heres a cheap 500gb one

http://www.ebuyer.com/664284-500gb-hgst-touro-mobile-usb-3-0-portable-drive-0s03797

©2024 Curry Recipes