Author Topic: Adding depth to a korma recipe?  (Read 10732 times)

Offline leodis1970

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Adding depth to a korma recipe?
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 07:30 PM »
Banana milkshake powder is a funny suggestion, but in all seriousness, there are all sorts of strange ingredients that you wouldn't think of in all types of cooking.

So long as it's not harmful, I really don't have a problem with it if it creates the desired effect with no hassle and no waste. Not really into fruity curries, but I can actually imagine milkshake powder working - banana flavour, sweetness and milk/creamy powder lol.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 10:59 PM »
Not really into fruity curries...

Neither was I until i tried Kashmiri for the first time. Who'd have thought banana in a curry would be sooooo delish! Lychees on the other hand have absolutely no place in curries as far as my tatste goes...blech!

... but I can actually imagine milkshake powder working - banana flavour, sweetness and milk/creamy powder lol.

Like I said I was only half joking. Price being the main driving force these days due to much competition, if I were a BIR chef and wanted to get banana flavour into my sauce I wouldn't use real bananas that would have to be really ripe to impart much flavour. No, I'd cheat and add banana flavoured milk shake powder as probably the cheapest way to do it.

Offline PlainPopcorn

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 01:31 AM »

[/quote]

They tend to do that light trick with tomatoes here, not so much with bananas though. Definitely not a conspiracy...well, other than to con us into buying unripe fruits!  >:(

I bought 2 anyway and when I came home I put them in a bag with some apples, hopefully that myth is true that that helps ripen them up.

No, not a myth. All fruits produce ethylene gas and that makes other fruit ripen. Usually though it's avocados you use as they produce a greater quantity per fruit. Personally I just leave the bananas in the fruit bowl for anything from 3 - 6 days and they ripen somewhere in that time. You definitely want the ripe fruit though because the sweetness makes all the difference and, of course, they have a better overall flavour. Just be careful not to overcook as they'll go to mush quite quickly. Add near the end depending on how ripe they are.
[/quote]

That's relieving to hear.
I'm just concentrating on the sauce right now, so I add pureed banana because the malaya had banana flavour in the sauce itself. At the moment I'm not adding any meat, or sliced banana.
I don't want too much distracting my tastebuds since the first and last time I had that malaya was in early january.
I've also got a small stomach, so I use half the recipe when test-cooking. The one person portion has me stuffed to the gills, queasy as hell, in pain and not able to bend over or sleep for the next 5 hours or so.
I learned that the hard way  :P

I wish that I'd taken a more analytical approach when tasting that first and last malaya, but I had no idea I'd want to really replicate it.

Offline PlainPopcorn

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 01:38 AM »
Banana milkshake powder is a funny suggestion, but in all seriousness, there are all sorts of strange ingredients that you wouldn't think of in all types of cooking.

So long as it's not harmful, I really don't have a problem with it if it creates the desired effect with no hassle and no waste. Not really into fruity curries, but I can actually imagine milkshake powder working - banana flavour, sweetness and milk/creamy powder lol.

Nah I agree, if it works, it's cheap and if it's not harmful  I don't mind them using whatever.
Banana milkshake powder could be a substitute for a portion of cream, all of the sugar and the banana.
You'd have to find a brand that doesn't taste "chemically" though.

I'm not one for sweet curries in general but I did approve of my local indian take-away malaya and kashmiri. I'm making it for the family on christmas. It'll be the only BIR style curry there, the other stuff that I plan to serve is more traditional indian.
They're the kind of people who can't stand hot/spiciness, so I thought a korma style recipe might be a crowd pleaser.

Offline PlainPopcorn

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 01:47 AM »
Not really into fruity curries...

Neither was I until i tried Kashmiri for the first time. Who'd have thought banana in a curry would be sooooo delish! Lychees on the other hand have absolutely no place in curries as far as my tatste goes...blech!

... but I can actually imagine milkshake powder working - banana flavour, sweetness and milk/creamy powder lol.

Like I said I was only half joking. Price being the main driving force these days due to much competition, if I were a BIR chef and wanted to get banana flavour into my sauce I wouldn't use real bananas that would have to be really ripe to impart much flavour. No, I'd cheat and add banana flavoured milk shake powder as probably the cheapest way to do it.

I hate lychees in curries. I hate canned lychees, they're slimy and gross. I do like fresh lychees but rarely if ever buy them due to the price.
No that's not right, that sounds weird. I have bought far more expensive fruit (durian to be precise) and was perfectly okay with justifying the cost. But that's addiction talking, and I'm not addicted to lychees.
Banana milk shake powder would be a great solution for my trouble with finding ripe bananas. But the problem with banana flavoured anything is that it often tastes "chemically/artificial".

So I prefer using actual bananas, and I have the luxury of time and a few extra pennies to spend on a test recipe. Time until christmas rolls around at least. Better get my butt into gear.

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 08:25 PM »
Dig a hole, bury it then cook a proper curry.
That will add depth to a korma ;)

Offline PlainPopcorn

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 11:49 PM »

I'm surprised it took 15 comments for someone to bring this up.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 09:59 AM »

What classic.

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 05:15 PM »
Someone had to say it ;)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 07:05 PM »

Not wrong there mate, korma and curry are not 2 words that should be used in the same sentence

©2024 Curry Recipes